You’ve been in a serious car accident, and you’re shaken. You’re grateful for having survived, but now your mind is a whirl of confusion, questions, and concerns.
What if you have sustained potentially serious injuries that they do not appear right away, like whiplash?
What if the other driver denies responsibility for the crash, and you’re worried they won’t pay for damages?
These concerns and fears are perfectly normal. If you take a look below, you’ll get a head start on orienting yourself by taking several key steps after a car accident.
Car accident must-do’s
- Attend to any injuries. Your first concern is your physical safety and well-being. If you are able, call an ambulance and ask to be taken to the emergency room if necessary.
- Call the police. It’s always a good idea to have the police at the scene immediately after a bad traffic accident.
- Get the other driver’s registration and insurance information. Make sure you carefully document the name, phone number, address, drivers’ license number, license plate numbers, and similar information from the other driver (or drivers) involved.
- Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses. Any bystanders who saw the accident firsthand may play an important part in insurance claims or litigation.
- Snap pictures of your car and the scene of the accident. If you feel up to it, taking photos of your injuries – or having someone else do so for you – can serve as evidence in a lawsuit. They can also serve as a basis for what your insurance pays if you file a claim.
- Tell your insurance company about the accident. Be prompt in notifying your insurance company, as any delays can also mean delays in your compensation you might be able to receive.
- Call an experienced attorney. Talk to a lawyer who focuses only on personal injury cases. Your accident claim may be worth far more than you realize.
Talk to an experienced St. Petersburg accident lawyer
Would you like more information about what to do after a car accident? Our firm may be able to help. Contact Abrahamson & Uiterwyk 24 hours a day / 7 days a week at 1-800-753-5203. Call us today for a free evaluation of your case.