Although every slip and fall accident is unique, there are a handful of common causes of slips and falls that play a contributing factor in these types of accidents time and time again.
Let’s take a look at some of the leading causes of slip and fall accidents, including unsafe surfaces, clutter, debris and other obstacles.
Slippery and Uneven Surfaces
Unsafe floors are responsible for a considerable percentage of slips and falls.
- Slippery floors can lead to slip and fall accidents due to maintenance, inclement weather or a recent spill.
- Uneven surfaces can cause slip and falls due to poorly maintained sidewalks or poorly marked steps and thresholds.
Clutter, Debris and Other Obstacles
Clutter, debris and other obstacles are responsible for other types of accidents that can occur on someone else’s property, especially when it comes to trips. Some examples of these types of accidents include:
- Tripping on electrical cords and similar items during construction or maintenance.
- Falling on trash and other debris in poorly maintained stairwells.
- Stumbling over boxes or unshelved retail merchandise.
Remember, if you’ve been seriously injured in a slip and fall accident, it’s important to report your accident to the owner or manager of the property and document the details of how your accident took place while the event is fresh in your mind. In the event that you need to pursue a personal injury claim for your accident, having this information on hand may be important.
Seriously injured in a slip and fall accident?
Property owners have a duty to ensure that guests and the public are not injured on their property by providing a reasonable amount of care that their premises are as safe as possible.
If you’ve been injured on someone else’s property due to another person’s negligence, call Abrahamson & Uiterwyk now at 813-324-5201. We may be able help you pursue financial compensation for your accident while you focus on recovering from your injuries.