Unfortunately, there’s not much you can do to control other people’s behavior on the road.
After all, reckless and dangerous drivers have been around since the invention of the automobile. However, there are many things you can do to avoid vehicle pedestrian accidents. Here are just a few of them:
- Use crosswalks and designated intersections whenever possible. In some municipalities, walking outside these areas is actually illegal, and is known as “jaywalking.”
- Make sure you’re seen. You can increase your visibility to drivers by wearing bright or reflective clothing, or by carrying a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid traveling by foot after dark. Speaking of walking at night, try to avoid it if you can. The same goes for walking in bad weather, which tends to increase roadway accidents of all kinds.
- Use the sidewalk. It goes without saying that pedestrians should use the sidewalk, but if one isn’t available, walk on the shoulder facing traffic.
- Look both ways. Mother’s advice still holds true: always look both ways before crossing the street, and don’t try to dash between cars if there’s not enough time.
- Travel with friends. Walking in groups provides much greater visibility than walking alone.
- Be alert. Don’t be distracted from walking safely by talking or texting on your cell phone, or listening to music, which drowns out the sound of passing cars and horns.
- Don’t drink and walk. Just as you shouldn’t be drinking and driving, don’t walk home from a party or bar intoxicated. For one thing, public drunkenness is often a crime by itself. But more importantly, it leaves you extremely vulnerable to a pedestrian accident.
- Watch out for more than passing cars. Vehicles that are backing out of their driveways, parking lots, and alleys can hit a person just as easily as a car or truck speeding down the road.
Get an experienced Clearwater pedestrian accident lawyer
For more tips on auto pedestrian accident prevention — or for a free case evaluation if you’ve been in an accident — call the firm of Abrahamson & Uiterwyk. Our staff is available 24 hours a day at 1-800-753-5203 to assist you.