Watch for These Traumatic Brain Injury Symptoms after a Car Accident
Some injuries are so apparent after a car accident that they can’t be ignored.
Cuts, bruises, and broken bones are all highly visible and demand immediate attention.
However, it is possible to suffer internal injuries that may go unnoticed for days, weeks, and even months.
Unfortunately, these injuries are no less dangerous than the more obvious ones, and ignoring them can lead to permanent harm.
Head injuries are a perfect example of this phenomenon, so after an accident, look out for the following common symptoms of a traumatic brain injury:
- Spastic muscles
- Changes or problems with vision, such as blurred, darkened, or double vision, and even complete blindness
- Headaches, including cluster headaches and migraines
- Fatigue and increased sleep
- Loss of smell or taste, or other changes in the mouth or nose
- Speech that is slow, slurred, or exhibits other signs of impairment
- Trouble walking or keeping your balance
- Short-term or long-term memory loss
- Trouble comprehending or processing information, or doing it too slowly
- Trouble concentrating on detailed tasks
- Problems understanding conversation and speech
- Difficulty keeping up with a conversation or finding the right word (or taking a long time to do so)
- Impaired or reckless judgment
- Inability to complete more than one relatively simple task at a time
- Failure to initiate activities, or failure to complete those already started
- Increased anxiety, depression, and / or mood swings
- Impulsive behavior
- Becoming easily agitated, angry, or frustrated
- Increased egocentric behaviors and lack of empathy towards others
Remember, traumatic brain injuries can be fatal if not dealt with immediately. Not every person may exhibit every brain injury symptom, so it’s important to seek medical attention right away if you’re in an accident, especially if you hit your head.
Traumatic brain injuries can cost you in more ways than one. You may need funds to take care of yourself — both for the immediate effects of the injury as well as the future potential consequences. This is why traumatic brain injuries can be some of the most complex and expensive injuries to deal with.
When you need an experienced Clearwater car accident lawyer.
When you need an experienced Clearwater car accident lawyer, the firm of Abrahamson & Uiterwyk is there for you. Call 24 hours a day at 1-800-752-5203 for a free case evaluation and see how we can help you seek the justice you deserve.