800-538-4878 Text us now!

Hit and Run Accidents

Trusted Content
Legally reviewed by:
Erik Abrahamson
July 3, 2019
July 3, 2019|Car Accidents

Leaving the scene of an accident is a criminal offense in Florida, but that doesn’t mean that it never happens. In fact, Florida has one of the highest rates of fatal hit and run crashes in the country.  A driver who causes an accident is required to stop their vehicle and remain at the scene. They also must provide reasonable assistance to anyone who has been injured. However, for a number of different reasons, including lack of insurance or drunk driving, a negligent driver may leave the scene. If you’ve been injured by a hit and run driver, you may wonder what your options are.

After the Hit and Run Accident

Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to follow a driver who has fled the scene of an accident. Your safety and the safety of your passengers should be your number one priority. The first thing you should do after the accident and after making sure that everyone is safe is to write down a description of the vehicle and the license plate number if you were able to see it. You should also record any other information that you or any witnesses can remember. This information can help the police when they arrive at the scene.

Coverage for Your Injuries After a Hit and Run Accident

If you’ve been injured in an accident with a hit and run driver, you may not always be able to hold the negligent driver responsible for your injuries. Some hit and run drivers are never found. You can, however, pursue compensation from your own insurance company. In Florida, you are required to have personal injury protection (PIP) as part of your car insurance. PIP will cover some of your medical bills and lost wages up to the limit of the policy.

However, if you have been seriously injured, PIP may not be enough to fully compensate you for your losses. This is why it is important to have uninsured motorist coverage (UM). UM coverage will help compensate you for your medical bills, lost wages, and any pain and suffering sustained as a result of the hit and run accident.

Contact an Experienced Car Accident Attorney

If you’ve been injured in a hit and run accident, you may need the help of an experienced car accident attorney to help you navigate the insurance process. At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, we have over 30 years of experience helping car accident victims. Contact us online or call us at 800-538-4878 to set up your no-obligation free consultation today.

We’re Ready to Review Your Case and Offer Advice

800-538-4878  |  Text Us  |  Email Us  |  Available 24/7

Get In Touch

Contact Us Now

The quickest way to get your Free Case Evaluation is by a personal phone call. Call us 24/7.

Can’t talk right now? No problem. Text us now using the link below for a Free Case Evaluation.

Prefer Email? Use the link below to send us a message today for your Free Case Evaluation.