Florida Bicycle Accident Attorney Near You
Even more than accidents involving motorcycles, having an accident while you’re riding your bicycle can be devastating. A car, truck, or even a pedestrian-caused bicycle accident can result in major injuries. Automobile and commercial truck insurers are interested in settling quickly and cheaply – but you’re hurt, and your property is damaged. Ensuring you’re taken care of beyond the accrued costs and into your future is an important step in a favorable outcome.
The expert bicycle accident injury lawyers at Abrahamson & Uiterwyk are here to help you understand the nuances of bicycle accident injury cases. We look out for you, not an insurance company’s bottom line.
We have attorneys in the following communities and beyond ready to take your call and offer a free case evaluation – don’t hesitate – call today:
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
COMMON CAUSES OF BICYCLE ACCIDENTS IN FLORIDA
When an accident involves a car and a bicycle, it is typically the driver of the car that is at fault. Drivers need to be aware of bicyclists on the road and act accordingly. Some common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Being Hit with an Open Door–when a bicyclist is hit by an open door on a vehicle, the effects can be devastating. Drivers have an obligation to check around them before opening the vehicle door.
- Intersection Accidents–drivers must exercise due care when entering an intersection to avoid a collision with a bicycle. It is common for a car to make a left turn in front of a cyclist, ignoring the right of way. Bicyclists should also yield the right of way when necessary.
- Right Turns in Front of a Cyclist--drivers should pay attention and be aware of their surroundings, especially when making turns. A right turn in front of a cyclist can be deadly.
- Rear-ending a Cyclist—sometimes bicyclists have to ride in the road with cars when there are no bike lanes available. Cars should leave plenty of stopping room in front of them and keep in mind that cyclists can’t always keep up the pace.
COMMON BICYCLE ACCIDENT INJURIES
An accident that involves a vehicle and a bicycle will come with certain common injuries. Typically, the bicyclist involved in the accident will be hit by the car and then will hit the pavement. This can result in blunt force trauma to the body. Common bicycle accident injuries that result include:
- Traumatic brain injury and other head injuries
- Facial fractures and lacerations
- Spinal cord injuries
- Bone fractures
- Damage to internal organs
- Other soft tissue injuries
What if I wasn’t Wearing a helmet?
FLORIDA HELMET USE LAW
According to the Florida Helmet Use Law, kids who are younger than 16 are required to wear bike helmets. However, the statute specifically precludes using the fact that the bike rider did not wear a helmet as evidence of negligence.
STATISTICS REGARDING BIKE ACCIDENTS AND HELMET USE
- Young cyclists are more likely than adult cyclists to die from head injuries
- One state found that out of all cyclists who were using helmets and who were involved in an accident, only 13 percent of bicyclists were seriously injured and only 3 percent died.
- In 2006, 95 percent of bicyclists who died in bike accidents were not wearing helmets.
- Kids between 10 and 14 of age are at a greater risk for traumatic brain injuries than other children.
- Some safety experts believe that up to 75 percent of bicycle-related deaths among children could be prevented if they wore a helmet.
- An estimated 39,000 to 45,000 head injuries could be prevented with the universal use of bike helmets.
BIKE ACCIDENT CLAIMS IN FLORIDA
A large part of a bicycle accident claim is detailing the type of injuries that a person sustained. Some bike accidents may relate to parts of the body that would not be affected by the use or nonuse of a bike helmet, such as a broken leg, spinal cord fracture, or back injury.
However, traumatic brain injuries, head injuries, and neck injuries are some of the most common injuries that individuals sustain in bike accidents.
Although the insurer may attempt to use it against you if you were not wearing a bicycle helmet, Florida bicycle helmet laws prohibit this from being legally permissible evidence to show any negligence on your part. Nevertheless, it is best to always wear a helmet to avoid injury and any difficulties in a potential lawsuit.
More About Bicycle Accidents in Florida:
- Does Florida Require Bicycle Helmets?
- Riding a Bicycle in the Rain
- Pinellas County is the Most Dangerous Place to Ride a Bike
CONTACT AN EXPERIENCED FLORIDA BICYCLE ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
If you’ve been seriously injured in a bicycle accident, you should contact an experienced bicycle accident attorney near you. The attorneys at Abrahamson & Uiterwyk have the experience you need and are here to help. Contact us onlineor call us at 1-800-538-4878 to set up your free consultation today.
What Our Clients Have to Say About Our Personal Injury Work on Google
We had the misfortune of having to retain an attorney after our 15 yr. old was hit on his bike by a car. We hit the attorney jackpot lottery with A & U! All of our son’s medical needs were seen to, and the staff from Ms. Jenny (who is a personal fav of mine) who no matter how hysterical I was when I called made certain that someone would take my call to calm me down. There was Monique who did the intake to make certain all of Joshua’s medical needs were taken care of. And there was Jill and Kelli, AMAZING! They both went above and beyond the call of duty numerous times. Mr. Abrahamson was amazingly generous, which these days are unheard of. I hope to never have to use them again for obvious reasons, but I would in a heartbeat if needed. The entire staff is incredible and very supportive and caring. I never felt that we were” just another case” Please don’t waste your valuable time searching for anyone else. They are the” ONE STOP TEAM!!!!”
Florida Injury Case Types
The highly-experienced Florida personal injury law firm of Abrahamson & Uiterwyk provides:
- Car accident lawyers in Florida
- Motorcycle accident lawyers in Florida
- Slip & fall lawyers in Florida
- Truck accident lawyers in Florida
- Bicycle accident lawyers in Florida
- Brain injury lawyers in Florida
- Birth injury lawyers in Florida
- Pedestrian accident lawyers in Florida
- Construction accident lawyers in Florida
- Wrongful death lawyers in Florida
- Actos injury lawyers in Florida
- Boating accident lawyers in Florida
- Business interruption insurance lawyers in Florida
- Defective drugs medical device lawyers in Florida
- Dog bite lawyers in Florida
- Drunk driving accident lawyers in Florida
- Fosamax bisphosphonates lawyers in Florida
- Insurance disputes lawyers in Florida
- Medical malpractice lawyers in Florida
- Metal hip knee implant lawyers in Florida
- Nursing home abuse lawyers in Florida
- Product liability lawyers in Florida
- Work injury / workers comp lawyers in Florida