Lakeland Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Being in a bicycle accident can be a traumatic experience. Unfortunately, Florida ranks as one of the top states for bicycle accidents.
With such great weather throughout much of the year, it is no surprise that there are so many cyclists on the road.
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles 2020 crash report, there were 5,934 bicycle accidents and 160 deaths that year.
If you are one of the thousands injured in a bicycle accident, seek legal support from an experienced Lakeland bicycle accident lawyer to pursue the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
What Are Your Options After a Bicycle Accident?
If you are in a bicycle accident, it is important to understand your legal options. If your injuries were caused by the negligence of another person or entity, you may be entitled to compensation.
Depending on the extent of your injuries, expenses related to treatment, and your prognosis, you may require more compensation than what an insurance company is willing to give you.
Do not settle for less than you deserve. Your best option is to talk to an experienced Lakeland bicycle accident lawyer to evaluate the best course of action for your case.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Lakeland
There are a lot of potential threats for bicyclists. Riding a bike is a vulnerable activity. Even with the addition of protective gear such as a helmet and pads, you are still very exposed and not always easy to see in traffic. There are several common causes of bicycle accidents.
Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of vehicle collisions. These accidents also include bicycles. The most common cause of distracted driving is using the phone to text, email, or dial a number.
Lane Splitting and Driving Too Close
Cars and cyclists make the common mistake of riding too close to one another. This can be the fault of either party. Bicycle riders who split lanes of traffic put themselves in a dangerous position just as vehicles that ride too close to bicycles are also more likely to have a collision.
Inclement Weather and Dangerous Road Conditions
Weather can cause slippery and unpredictable conditions. The most common issues are reduced visibility and brake malfunctions. Wet brakes and roadways can cause problems for both cyclists and car drivers.
Driving under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or in any other state of decreased alertness can greatly increase the chances of an accident. Bicycles are already difficult to see.
When a driver is impaired, they are less likely to notice the details of traffic around them and respond quickly to dangerous situations.
Riding in a Vehicle’s Blind Spot
When a driver can’t see a bicycle, they can’t be expected to respond appropriately to the proximity of the cyclist. Accidents often happen when the driver tries to change lanes and does not see the bicycle.
High-speed accidents are more likely to result in serious injuries. Speeding increases the amount of time it takes to come to a stop or react quickly. Even low-speed accidents can cause death. High-speed accidents are often fatal.
Running a Red Light or a Stop Sign
Failing to obey traffic laws is a common cause of many vehicle accidents. When a vehicle hits a bicycle in an intersection, it is often severe.
Proving Fault in a Bicycle Accident
Florida is a modified comparative negligence state. This means that if you are found to be no more than 50% at fault for the injuries, your recovery is reduced by the same proportion as your percentage of fault. As an example, if you are found to be 20% at fault in an injury, you may still recover 80% of your damages in a lawsuit. If, however, your percentage of fault is found to be more than 50%, you are barred from any recovery under the law.
What Kind of Compensation is Available for a Bicycle Accident?
If you are injured due to the negligent behavior of another person or entity, you may be able to file a personal injury claim to recover damages.
The actual monetary expenses associated with your injury and property damage are called “economic damages.” These damages cover costs that have a tangible number associated with them. Some examples include:
- Medical treatment,
- Physical therapy,
- Property damage, and
- Lost wages.
You should not have to be responsible for expenses that you would not have incurred had the other party not acted negligently.
The hardest part of being in a bicycle accident is not always the costs associated with the injury or property damage. Non-economic damages cover the mental and emotional costs that arise from the experience. These may include:
- Pain and suffering,
- Post-traumatic stress, and
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
Depending on the severity of your injuries, they could be life-changing. No amount of money can make that better, but it is the closest remedy the court has. Because these damages do not come with a receipt or invoice, they are more difficult to prove. A Lakeland bicycle accident attorney will be able to help you prove these damages.
Choosing a Lakeland Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Your priority should be to focus on healing, while your attorney focuses on the details of your claim. The experienced team at Abrahamson and Uiterwyk has served over 20,000 injured clients and understands how difficult this time can be. We provide a free consultation to discuss your bicycle accident and determine what options may be available.
Once you retain our services, we will conduct an independent investigation into your accident. This involves gathering evidence such as police reports, medical records, expenses, and more.
We want to make sure we have a clear understanding of how much compensation you deserve so that we can negotiate on your behalf. If we cannot negotiate for fair compensation, we will prepare your case for litigation.
You should never settle for less than what you deserve. Contact us today for your free consultation. We can also assist you with motorcycle accidents, car accidents, medical malpractice cases and more. If you need help after a car accident in Polk County, contact a Polk County, FL auto accident lawyer.
Lakeland, FL Case Types
The highly-experienced Florida personal injury law firm of Abrahamson & Uiterwyk provides:
- Car accident lawyers in Florida
- Guide to Florida Car Accident Law
- Motorcycle accident lawyers in Florida
- Slip & fall lawyers in Florida
- Truck accident lawyers in Florida
- Bicycle accident lawyers in Florida
- Brain injury lawyers in Florida
- Birth injury lawyers in Florida
- Pedestrian accident lawyers in Florida
- Florida Red Light Car Accident Settlement Lawyers
- Construction accident lawyers in Florida
- Wrongful death lawyers in Florida
- Actos injury lawyers in Florida
- Boating accident lawyers in Florida
- Business interruption insurance lawyers in Florida
- Defective drugs medical device lawyers in Florida
- Dog bite lawyers in Florida
- Drunk driving accident lawyers in Florida
- Insurance disputes lawyers in Florida
- Medical malpractice lawyers in Florida
- Metal hip knee implant lawyers in Florida
- Nursing home abuse lawyers in Florida
- Product liability lawyers in Florida
- Work injury / workers comp lawyers in Florida
Service Area for Bike Accident Attorneys Near You
- Tampa, FL injury lawyers
- Clearwater, FL injury lawyers
- St. Petersburg, FL injury lawyers
- Sarasota, FL injury lawyers
- Orlando, FL injury lawyers
- Bartow, FL injury lawyers
- Brandon, FL injury lawyers
- Brooksville, FL injury lawyers
- Crystal River, FL injury lawyers
- Dade City, FL injury lawyers
- Homosassa, FL injury lawyers
- Hudson, FL injury lawyers
- Inverness, FL injury lawyers
- Lakeland, FL injury lawyers
- Largo, FL injury lawyers
- Lutz, FL injury lawyers
- New Port Richey, FL injury lawyers
- Oldsmar, FL injury lawyers
- Palm Harbor, FL injury lawyers
- Pinellas Park, FL injury lawyers
- Plant City, FL injury lawyers
- Port Richey, FL injury lawyers
- Riverview, FL injury lawyers
- Ruskin, FL injury lawyers
- Sebring, FL injury lawyers
- Spring Hill, FL injury lawyers
- Tarpon Springs, FL injury lawyers
- Town ‘N’ Country, FL injury lawyers
- Wesley Chapel, FL injury lawyers
- Winter Haven, FL injury lawyers
- Zephyrhills, FL injury lawyers
…and the surrounding area!