Experienced Homosassa Injury Attorneys
We love Homosassa, Florida. In fact, we have been so taken by its small-town charms and friendly populace that our firm has sponsored the Homosassa Fireworks Festival for several years. Our senior partner, Erik Abrahamson, has owned property in Homosassa and has enjoyed the Homosassa community for years. When we’re in town working on a case or simply looking for something to do, a trip to the Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park or a fishing trip on the Homosassa River are two of our favorite options.
Like any other small town, however, a placid exterior conceals potential dangers that can upend your life in a moment – dangerous drivers, vicious dogs, distracted boaters, and even careless doctors. When an accident happens, you might not know where to turn. In the midst of your pain and confusion, medical bills pile up while you exhaust your remaining sick leave days at work. When you try to press a claim for financial compensation with the responsible party’s insurance company, you are likely to face an indifferent corporate bureaucracy with interests that are the exact opposite of yours.
Call in the Professionals
Facing down a greedy insurance company and proving liability when it may not be obvious is not a job for an injured victim trying to recover from the pain and shock of a life-altering accident. You may need some legal help to persue fair compensation out of a system that is designed to make that job difficult for you. That job is our job, however, and we’ve been doing it for over 30 years.
Abrahamson & Uiterwyk has award-winning injury attorneys, professional legal staff, and over a century of combined personal injury practice experience – small enough to respond to you personally, but large enough to offer important legal resources such as an investigation department. Since our firm focuses exclusively on personal injury law, we can afford to “box above our weight” in our field. In fact, other firms even hire our trial lawyers for their cases.
Some of Our Practice Areas
Following is a partial list of some of the types of cases our Homosassa personal injury lawyers are most experienced in handling:
Car Accidents: About 3,000 people die on Florida roads every year, and hundreds of thousands are sent to the emergency room. Discouragingly, the accident rate has jumped precipitously in recent years as the price of gas has decreased and more people have been using electronic texting devices. Most car accidents are the result of human error. Our Citrus County car accident lawyers are experienced with all types of accidents.
Truck Accidents: An out of control truck behaves like a missile on the highway, and the consequences of an accident can be as deadly as a missile strike. When a careless truck driver causes an accident, the response by the victim should be immediate – seek medical care and contact a Homosassa personal injury attorney.
Motorcycle Accidents: Motorcyclists are the most vulnerable of all motorists due to their lack of frame protection and relative invisibility on the roads. In a country where most of the vehicles on the road are at least the size of an automobile, motorcycles are easy to miss – but that doesn’t mean a driver who misses one can escape liability for an accident.
Slip and Fall Accidents: The elderly are disproportionately represented among slip and fall victims due to their relatively brittle bones. Lawsuits are most likely to arise when a business owner fails to keep his or her premises safe for customers. The owner or renter of unsafe premises typically bears liability for unreasonably dangerous conditions that result in accidents.
Medical Malpractice: We trust our doctors because we have to. By and large, doctors are worthy of the trust that they receive. Sometimes, however, even a doctor will harm a patient through professional misconduct. When that happens, you owe it to yourself and to the public to seek full compensation.
Dog Bites: Even dogs known for their gentle demeanor can unexpectedly attack. Fortunately for victims, compensation is at times available even without proving negligence on the part of the dog owner. Most homeowner’s insurance and renter’s insurance policies cover dog bites as long as liability can be established.
Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect: Florida’s 683 nursing homes provide an invaluable service to the state’s elderly. Nevertheless, sometimes a nursing home employee will provide inadequate care to your loved one, either through positive act or careless omission. Nursing home abuse claims are often based on violations of state or federal regulations.
We also handle:
- bicycle accidents
- brain injuries
- product liability
- drunk driving accidents
- birth injuries
- work injuries
- construction accidents
- pedestrian accidents
This is only a partial list of the types of cases we handle – in fact, we handle as many types of personal injury cases as there are types of accidents and injuries.
Frequently Asked Questions on Personal Injury Claims
Florida personal injury law recognizes three main types of damages:
- Economic damages: Economic damages include all easily countable damages such as medical expenses, lost earnings, and out-of-pocket expenses. Even speculative damages such as estimated future medical expenses are included.
- Non-economic damages: Non-economic damages include intangible, primarily psychological losses such as physical pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of companionship (in a wrongful death case).
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages are awarded, if at all, in addition to economic and non-economic damages to punish the defendant for outrageous behavior. Although courts are reluctant to award punitive damages, they may be available for certain DUI or criminal assault claims.
Possibly, although a lot depends on the facts of your particular case. The defendant would probably need to be the owner or lessee of the parking lot, and you would have to trace your slip and fall accident to carelessness on the part of the defendant. If you slipped and fell in the middle of a snowstorm, for example, a court might rule that the defendant could not have been expected to guard against this danger. If you slipped on ice that could have been removed days ago, by contrast, you would have a better chance of winning.
It is still possible to win a case like this, even if your injuries were worsened by your failure to wear a seat belt. If you win, however, it is likely that you will have to settle for less than 100 percent of your damages. Florida is a modified comparative negligence state. This means that if you are found to be no more than 50% at fault for the accident, your recovery is reduced by the same proportion as your percentage of fault. As an example, if you are found to be 20% at fault in an accident, you may still recover 80% of your damages in a lawsuit. If, however, your percentage of fault is found to be more than 50%, you are barred from any recovery under the law.
Maybe, but not automatically. Under Florida’s negligence per se principles, if you can prove that the defendant was breaking a safety law (texting while driving, for example), then the court will consider the defendant automatically negligent. This alone is not enough to win the case for you, however – you must also prove that the defendant’s negligence was a substantial cause of the accident. You might fail to establish this if, for example, you proved that the defendant was driving on an expired driver’s license but could not establish that driving on an expired license caused the accident to occur.
“Pain and suffering” is such a nebulous concept that it is difficult to predict how much you might be awarded. You must have suffered a demonstrable physical injury to qualify for pain and suffering damages, and some injuries are more painful than others. Pain and suffering might be calculated as an amount per day, or as a multiple of economic damages. It is not at all uncommon, however, for an accident victim to receive several times more for pain and suffering than for medical expenses.
Take Action Today
At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, we understand what you are facing because we have fought for the rights of over 20,000 injured victims over the last quarter-century. At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, we are proud of its “AV” rating, the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell, a national law firm rating system. The “A” signifies that the firm’s legal ability is “very high to preeminent.” The “V” denotes that our firm observes “very high” ethical standards. Also, we are an accredited business of the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating.
Homosassa, FL Case Types
The highly-experienced Florida personal injury law firm of Abrahamson & Uiterwyk provides:
- Car accident lawyers in Florida
- Guide to Florida Car Accident Law
- Motorcycle accident lawyers in Florida
- Slip & fall lawyers in Florida
- Truck accident lawyers in Florida
- Bicycle accident lawyers in Florida
- Brain injury lawyers in Florida
- Birth injury lawyers in Florida
- Pedestrian accident lawyers in Florida
- Florida Red Light Car Accident Settlement Lawyers
- Construction accident lawyers in Florida
- Wrongful death lawyers in Florida
- Actos injury lawyers in Florida
- Boating accident lawyers in Florida
- Business interruption insurance lawyers in Florida
- Defective drugs medical device lawyers in Florida
- Dog bite lawyers in Florida
- Drunk driving accident lawyers in Florida
- Insurance disputes lawyers in Florida
- Medical malpractice lawyers in Florida
- Metal hip knee implant lawyers in Florida
- Nursing home abuse lawyers in Florida
- Product liability lawyers in Florida
- Work injury / workers comp lawyers in Florida
- Tampa, FL injury lawyers
- Clearwater, FL injury lawyers
- St. Petersburg, FL injury lawyers
- Sarasota, FL injury lawyers
- Orlando, FL injury lawyers
- Bartow, FL injury lawyers
- Brandon, FL injury lawyers
- Brooksville, FL injury lawyers
- Crystal River, FL injury lawyers
- Dade City, FL injury lawyers
- Homosassa, FL injury lawyers
- Hudson, FL injury lawyers
- Inverness, FL injury lawyers
- Lakeland, FL injury lawyers
- Largo, FL injury lawyers
- Lutz, FL injury lawyers
- New Port Richey, FL injury lawyers
- Oldsmar, FL injury lawyers
- Palm Harbor, FL injury lawyers
- Pinellas Park, FL injury lawyers
- Plant City, FL injury lawyers
- Port Richey, FL injury lawyers
- Riverview, FL injury lawyers
- Ruskin, FL injury lawyers
- Sebring, FL injury lawyers
- Spring Hill, FL injury lawyers
- Tarpon Springs, FL injury lawyers
- Town ‘N’ Country, FL injury lawyers
- Wesley Chapel, FL injury lawyers
- Winter Haven, FL injury lawyers
- Zephyrhills, FL injury lawyers
…and the surrounding area!