Tampa Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
When you can’t be there yourself to provide day-to-day care for a loved one in old age, putting your faith in a nursing home is one of the few options that you have available.
If you suspect that you or a loved one may be a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, the injury law team of Abrahamson & Uiterwyk may be able to help.
With more than 100 years of experience practicing personal injury law, our Tampa nursing home abuse lawyers are committed to doing what it takes to protect our clients. Abuse and neglect are not normal. They are not ok. If you have questions or concerns, the time to act is now.
Not quite ready to speak with a Tampa elder abuse attorney? Not to worry. Below you will find useful information that will help you understand your rights and options.
Just How Big is the Problem of Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect?
Consider these statistics:
- More than 90 percent of nursing homes in the United States do not have adequate staff to care for their patients.
- More than one-third of licensed nursing homes in the United States have been cited for violations of elder abuse laws.
- As many as half of all nursing homes admit to their patients experiencing abuse and neglect.
- Due to these issues, more than 40 percent of nursing home residents report seeing or experiencing abuse, and more than 90 percent report seeing or experiencing neglect.
Are Tampa Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys Necessary?
The most important tasks of a nursing home neglect & abuse law firm is to protect your loved one’s rights. An attorney who understands these laws may be able to review the facts and circumstances of your case and work with you to determine your next course of action.
An injury lawyer will help you to determine if you have a case.
How Can Abrahamson & Uiterwyk Help?
Looking for nursing home negligence attorneys in Florida? You should know that with over 30 years of experience fighting for the rights of personal injury victims, Abrahamson & Uiterwyk may be able to help you and your family during this difficult time.
What Constitutes Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect?
It is a tragic reality of our society that some people choose to take advantage of others who are vulnerable. This includes targeting elderly residents. Abuse can take many forms, and the National Council on Aging (NCOA) has identified seven specific types of elder and nursing home abuse and neglect:
- Physical abuse – Intentionally inflicting pain or injury.
- Sexual abuse – Fondling, touching, intercourse, and all other forms of unwanted sexual contact or harassment.
- Emotional abuse – Verbal assaults, threats, harassment, and intimidation.
- Confinement – Restraint or isolation without consent and without medical necessity.
- Passive neglect – Failing to meet the basic needs of someone who is unable to care for himself or herself.
- Willful deprivation – Intentionally denying access to nutrition, hydration, medications, medical care, family, and other needs and desires without consent.
- Financial exploitation – Using coercion, fraud, or other means to gain access to a nursing home resident’s financial resources, or modify a resident’s estate plan.
What Are the Signs of Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect?
Due to the wide range of types of treatment that can be classified as abuse and neglect, the signs and symptoms of abuse and neglect are wide-ranging as well. However, some of the more common signs that an elderly resident may be a victim of abuse or experiencing neglect include:
- Bed sores (pressure ulcers)
- Emotional withdrawal
- Expenditures that are unaccounted for
- Loss of appetite
- Physical injuries consistent with a fall, physical assault, or sexual abuse
- Poor hygiene
- Sudden or unexplained weight loss
- Unexplained anger, anxiety, or depression
- Unused prescription medications
- Unwillingness to discuss the nursing home’s care
Aside from obvious physical injuries, this last sign can often be the most telling. In many cases, it has been discovered that nursing home staff members told patients not to talk about what they had endured, or even threatened them with worse treatment if they told their loved ones what was going on.
When is It Time to Consider Hiring a Tampa Nursing Home Abuse Attorney?
When it comes to possible nursing home abuse or neglect, it is never too early to talk to an experienced neglect and injury attorney. The sooner you take action, the sooner you can stop the abuse. At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, we are available 24/7, and we can come to meet with you in person (and in complete confidence) to discuss your situation.
Considerations for Hiring a Lawyer to Address Nursing Home Neglect or Abuse
When you need help fighting back against nursing home abuse or neglect, it is critical that you put an experienced elder abuse legal team on your side. At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, we have been standing up for victims since 1988, and our entire practice is dedicated to personal injury representation.
How Can I Help Stop Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect?
One of the best ways to stop nursing home abuse and neglect is to take aggressive legal action. If you do nothing, the situation will almost certainly get worse. An experienced nursing facility lawyer will be able to use the legal system to help you and your loved one seek protection, and to fight to win compensation for your physical, financial, and emotional harm.
The NCOA also recommends:
- Having a cell phone instead of relying on a nursing home landline
- Helping nursing home residents stay active in their communities
- Knowing your rights when it comes to taking a stand against nursing home neglect and abuse
- Limiting those who have access to nursing home residents’ mail, checkbooks, credit cards, and financial information
- Making sure nursing home residents take care of their health
- Making sure nursing home residents seek independent advice before signing any documents
- Periodically reviewing nursing home residents’ estate plans for any unexpected modifications
- Preparing healthcare directives or appointing a healthcare surrogate or power of attorney
- Seeking professional help for drug or alcohol dependence or signs of depression – all of which may be symptomatic of abuse or neglect
The Abrahamson & Uiterwyk Guarantee: No Fees or Costs Unless We Win
With our contingency-fee representation, it costs you nothing to speak with one of our Tampa nursing home abuse attorneys. If you suspect nursing home abuse or neglect, we urge you to contact us 24/7 to discuss your case. We are here to assist you, and we guarantee that you will not be asked to pay a retainer, hourly rates, or any fees during the course of our representation. Remember, we only retain a percentage of your recovery if we win compensation, so if we don’t win, you don’t pay.
Do Not Delay in Seeking Experienced Legal Representation
When you contact us, we will answer your questions about elder law, and discuss representing you against the nursing home that is responsible for you or your loved one’s inadequate care. While our first priority is making sure that you and your loved ones are safe, we will also aggressively pursue financial compensation for the medical bills, pain and suffering, and other losses that your family has endured.
Service Area for Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys Near You
- Tampa, FL injury lawyers
- Clearwater, FL injury lawyers
- St. Petersburg, FL injury lawyers
- Sarasota, FL injury lawyers
- Orlando, FL injury lawyers
- Bartow, FL injury lawyers
- Brandon, FL injury lawyers
- Brooksville, FL injury lawyers
- Crystal River, FL injury lawyers
- Dade City, FL injury lawyers
- Homosassa, FL injury lawyers
- Hudson, FL injury lawyers
- Inverness, FL injury lawyers
- Lakeland, FL injury lawyers
- Largo, FL injury lawyers
- Lutz, FL injury lawyers
- New Port Richey, FL injury lawyers
- Oldsmar, FL injury lawyers
- Palm Harbor, FL injury lawyers
- Pinellas Park, FL injury lawyers
- Plant City, FL injury lawyers
- Port Richey, FL injury lawyers
- Riverview, FL injury lawyers
- Ruskin, FL injury lawyers
- Sebring, FL injury lawyers
- Spring Hill, FL injury lawyers
- Tarpon Springs, FL injury lawyers
- Town ‘N’ Country, FL injury lawyers
- Wesley Chapel, FL injury lawyers
- Winter Haven, FL injury lawyers
- Zephyrhills, FL injury lawyers
…and the surrounding area!
Tampa, FL Case Types
The highly-experienced Florida personal injury law firm of Abrahamson & Uiterwyk provides:
- Car accident lawyers in Florida
- Guide to Florida Car Accident Law
- Motorcycle accident lawyers in Florida
- Slip & fall lawyers in Florida
- Truck accident lawyers in Florida
- Bicycle accident lawyers in Florida
- Brain injury lawyers in Florida
- Birth injury lawyers in Florida
- Pedestrian accident lawyers in Florida
- Florida Red Light Car Accident Settlement Lawyers
- Construction accident lawyers in Florida
- Wrongful death lawyers in Florida
- Actos injury lawyers in Florida
- Boating accident lawyers in Florida
- Business interruption insurance lawyers in Florida
- Defective drugs medical device lawyers in Florida
- Dog bite lawyers in Florida
- Drunk driving accident lawyers in Florida
- Insurance disputes lawyers in Florida
- Medical malpractice lawyers in Florida
- Metal hip knee implant lawyers in Florida
- Nursing home abuse lawyers in Florida
- Product liability lawyers in Florida
- Work injury / workers comp lawyers in Florida