Trauma to the neck, spine and back is responsible for a large proportion of the injuries that car accident victims suffer from.
The sudden jolt involved in a car accident can cause damage to the ligaments and other soft tissues that connect the spinal columns of the neck.
This type of injury is called a neck sprain and is one of the more common causes of experiencing neck pain and stiffness after an auto accident.
Common Neck Sprain Symptoms
The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons explains that some of the more common symptoms of neck sprain include:
- Neck Pain: Typically located in the rear of the neck and involving sharper pain with movement. Pain symptoms may not appear until a day or more after an accident takes place.
- Neck Stiffness: Decreased range of vertical, horizontal and/or circular motion.
- Headache: Often radiating from the rear of the head near where the spine meets the skull.
- Arm & Shoulder Symptoms: Possibly including muscle spasms, pain, numbness, tingling and/or weakness.
- Cognitive Symptoms: Problems with sleep, concentration, fatigue and mood can also occur.
Neck Sprains vs Neck Strains
It’s important to note that a neck sprain is a different type of injury than a neck strain. While a neck sprain involves damage to ligaments and similar soft tissue, a neck strain is caused by trauma to the actual muscles of the neck.
Other Common Neck Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
In addition to neck sprains and strains, car accidents can also be responsible for a variety of other neck injuries that can be considerably more serious.
Call our Tampa Car Accident Law Team 24 Hours a Day / 7 Days a Week!
Severe neck injuries can have a traumatic impact upon an injury victim’s quality of life. If you or a loved one has suffered a serious neck injury in the Tampa area due to someone else’s negligence, call Abrahamson & Uiterwyk today at 1-800-753-5203 for a free consultation.