Need a copy of your accident report from the Clearwater Police Department?
Being in a car accident can be traumatic for everyone involved. Besides dealing with a damaged vehicle and injuries, the questions and issues you face after an accident can be overwhelming.
Fortunately, you can obtain a copy of your accident report that contains all information from the crash. You can use this report to file a claim against the at-fault driver and report it to your insurance company.
We’ll walk you through the importance of your Clearwater accident report and how to get it.
How Do I Get a Copy of My Clearwater Accident Report?
Florida car accident reports are confidential for 60 days after the accident. If you request your report before these 60 days, you must fill out an affidavit explaining why you need it.
There are a few different ways to get your Clearwater police report:
- Request your crash report online. Visit the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles to submit a request. Keep in mind that reports are $10.00 each with a $2.00 convenience fee.
- Request your crash report in person. Visit the Clearwater Police Department or Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles during business hours to request a copy of your report.
- Request your crash report by mail. Mail the request to Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, Crash Records, 2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS 28, Tallahassee, FL 32399. Check or money order should be made out to “FLHSMV.”
What Information is in a Clearwater Accident Report?
Police officers create accident reports at the scene of the accident. They are that officer’s account of the accident as well as any other observations.
Accident reports contain essential information such as:
- Date, time, and location of the crash;
- Parties involved in the crash;
- Insurance information for those involved;
- If a ticket was administered, and if so, to whom and for what violation;
- Weather conditions at the time of the crash;
- Damage done to vehicles;
- Injuries to people involved; and
- Any other relevant information.
Get a copy of your Clearwater police report right away after a collision. By doing so, you can see what the reporting officer observed and concluded about the accident.
How Can My Clearwater Police Accident Reports Be Used?
Accident reports are valuable in supporting your personal injury or wrongful death claim. They will help you and your attorney evaluate your claim and gather evidence to support it.
Contact a Clearwater Lawyer for More Information
If you have been in a car accident in Clearwater, we are here to help. Our experienced Clearwater accident injury lawyers can answer any questions you have about obtaining your accident report. To speak with one of our lawyers at Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, contact us today.