Intersections are one of the most dangerous areas of the road. When two roads come together, there is a high possibility of an accident occurring. According to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), more than 50% of the combined total of fatal and injury vehicle crashes occur at or near intersections.
Types of Intersection Accidents
Intersection accidents can occur in a number of different manners including:
- Rear end collisions—when a driver is following too closely and doesn’t stop at a red light or stop sign when the driver in front of them does, a serious rear-end collision can occur
- Side impact crashes—typically occur when one driver runs a red light and T-bones another vehicle
- Head-on Collisions—can occur when a driver turns in front of oncoming traffic with not enough time
- Side Swipes—when drivers fail to look out for motorcyclists and bicyclists before turning
- Multi-car Pileups—when multiple vehicles crash into each other setting off a chain reaction
Causes of Intersection Accidents
Determining the cause of an intersection accident is crucial in determining liability. Common causes of intersection accidents include:
- Distracted Driving—A driver who fails to keep their eyes on the road can also fail to see when a light turns red or when someone is turning in front of them at an intersection.
- Aggressive Driving—following too closely, making erratic lane changes, and speeding to catch the light are all signs of aggressive driving and can all lead to an intersection accident.
- Reckless or Inexperienced Driving—misjudging the speed of another vehicle, or the gap between vehicles, turning with an obstructed view, failing to yield the right of way, falsely assuming the actions of another driver, and making an illegal driving maneuver can all lead to accidents at an intersection.
If drivers keep their eyes on the road, pay attention to their surroundings, and obey traffic rules, they can dramatically decrease the likelihood of being injured in an intersection accident.
Contact a Trusted Car Accident Attorney
If you’ve been seriously injured in an accident at an intersection, you need an experienced car accident attorney on your side. Contact the trusted attorneys at Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, and we’ll evaluate your case for free. Get in touch with us today online or call us at 1-800-753-5203 to schedule an appointment.