800-538-4878 Text us now!

What to do if Your Child has Been Injured in a Car Accident

Trusted Content
Legally reviewed by:
Erik Abrahamson
May 20, 2019
May 20, 2019 | Child Injury

The thought that your child could be involved in a car accident is frightening. You never want to consider the possibility that your child could be injured. However, it happens far too often. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death among children in the United States. There are important things you should consider doing if your child has been in a car accident.

Seek Medical Help

One of the most important things you can do for your child after an accident is to make sure they are examined by a doctor. Sometimes younger children aren’t able to express clearly that they are injured in some way or they may not appear injured at first glance. Let a doctor make the determination about whether your child is injured. Prompt medical treatment is not only good for the health of your child, but it can also help build your case for compensation.

Because of their size and immaturity, children can sustain even more serious injuries than an adult would in a car accident. Head injuries are the most common trauma sustained by children in an accident. In some cases, seatbelt or car seat injuries can occur. Children are also more prone to fractures as the result of an accident.

Seek Legal Help

If your child has been injured, you may want to consider seeking legal help to pursue compensation for any damages they’ve sustained. Your child has the same legal rights that an adult would have in pursuing a car accident claim. Under the law, a parent can pursue a claim on behalf of their child. Parents are also entitled to compensation for the money they have paid for the child’s medical bills.  Even if you were not the driver of the car involved in the accident, your car insurance will still cover your child. In addition, if your child was seriously injured, you may be able to pursue a claim against a negligent driver.

It is important to seek legal help as soon as possible after an accident. Especially in accidents where the child darted into traffic or was the pedestrian. Younger children may not be able to recall what happened during an accident, so it is important to track down witnesses that can describe what happened. Give the attorney time to investigate the accident.

Contact a Florida Accident Attorney

If your child has been injured in a car accident, you may want to have an experienced personal injury attorney evaluate your case. The attorneys at Abrahamson & Uiterwyk have over 30 years of experience helping Floridians injured in car accidents. Contact us online or call us at 800-538-4878 to set up your free, no-obligation consultation today. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We’re Ready to Review Your Case and Offer Advice

800-538-4878  |  Text Us  |  Email Us  |  Available 24/7

Get In Touch

Contact Us Now

The quickest way to get your Free Case Evaluation is by a personal phone call. Call us 24/7.

Can’t talk right now? No problem. Text us now using the link below for a Free Case Evaluation.

Prefer Email? Use the link below to send us a message today for your Free Case Evaluation.