Restaurant Slip and Fall AccidentsTrusted Content
Legally reviewed by:Erik Abrahamson, J.D. April 30, 2019
Slip and fall accidents in Florida can happen virtually anywhere. Just like any business, a restaurant has a responsibility to keep their property safe for its customers. If you are injured in a slip and fall at a restaurant, the property owner or the owner of the business may be held liable for your injuries.
Common Causes of Restaurant Slip and Fall Accidents
Restaurant slip and fall accidents can be the result of a number of potentially dangerous conditions, including:
- Spills on the floor
- Food on the floor
- Water leaks
- Debris such as napkins and menus on the floor
- Exposed electrical cords
- Torn carpet
- Uneven flooring
- Broken furniture
In order for the property owner or business to be held liable for a slip and fall in a restaurant, they must be aware that the hazardous condition existed and failed to take steps to fix the condition.
What to do After a Slip and Fall in a Restaurant
There are important steps you should take after a slip and fall accident in a restaurant:
- Get medical treatment. Your health and safety should always be your number one priority. It’s important to seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if you’re not sure whether you’ve been injured you should still seek medical treatment as the symptoms of any injuries may not present themselves right away.
- Notify the business.It’s important to notify the business of your slip and fall accident as soon as it happens. Get the name of any employee who responds to your complaint and make a note of any statements they make. Be sure to request a copy of any incident reports prepared by the business.
- Document the scene.If you can, take pictures of the area the dangerous condition that caused your slip and fall accident. Also, take pictures of the surrounding area.
- Gather information.Get the names and contact information of anybody that may have witnessed your accident. Place the shoes and clothing you were wearing at the time in a safe place as they may be used as evidence later.
- Decline to give statements.Keep your communications with restaurant staff limited. Do not give a statement to an insurance company.
Contact an Experienced Slip and Fall Attorney
If you’ve been injured in a restaurant slip and fall accident, you may want an experienced slip and fall attorney on your side. The lawyers at Abrahamson & Uiterwyk are here to help. Contact us online or call us at 800-538-4878 today to set up your free consultation.