Tampa Lyft Accident Lawyer
Our Lyft Accident Attorneys are Prepared to Help You Fight for Maximum Compensation
It’s been nearly a decade since Lyft began offering rideshare service in Tampa. Since then, the number of Lyft vehicles on our roads has continued to grow at a rapid pace, and this unfortunately means that Lyft accidents have become a growing concern as well. We regularly hear from rideshare passengers and other drivers who have been injured in accidents involving Lyft drivers—many of whom are now facing lifelong consequences due to Lyft drivers’ mistakes.
In short, if you need a Lyft accident lawyer, you are not alone.
At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, our Lyft accident attorneys have been representing victims and their families since Lyft signs started appearing on Florida’s roads. We have significant experience handling Uber accidents as well. We are intimately familiar with the special laws that apply in rideshare accident cases, and we have a long track record of holding the rideshare companies and their drivers’ insurance companies accountable.
What to Do After a Lyft Accident in Florida
To protect your legal rights after a Lyft related accident in Florida, there are some important steps you should try to take as soon as possible. After any type of car accident, acting promptly is one of the keys to maximizing your chances of a full financial recovery. The longer you wait, the more difficult it can become to prove liability; and, if you wait too long, you could struggle to obtain the financial compensation you deserve.
With this in mind, here are five important steps to take after a Lyft car accident:
- Document the Accident
It is important to try to document the accident as thoroughly as you can. While our Lyft accident attorneys can conduct a thorough investigation once you get in touch, certain types of evidence can disappear quickly. By taking lots of photos and videos, you can help ensure that we have as much evidence as possible to prove your legal rights.
- Report the Accident
All car accidents that result in injuries must be reported to the police in Florida. If you have auto insurance, you may also need to report the accident to your insurance company. In addition to satisfying your obligations, reporting your Lyft car accident will also create a formal record of the accident that we can use to prove where and when the accident occurred.
- Seek Treatment for Your Injuries
All individuals who are injured in Lyft accidents should seek treatment promptly. As an accident victim, seeking treatment promptly not only protects your health, but it can also help protect your legal rights. If you wait to seek treatment, it will become more difficult to prove that your injuries are accident-related, and the insurance companies will use this to try to deny liability.
- Start Documenting Your Losses
Along with documenting the accident, you should also start documenting your losses. If the Lyft driver (or a third party) caused the accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation for all of the losses you suffer as a result of the collision. To help prove how much you may be entitled to recover, you should keep your medical records, employment records, receipts, and any other documents you receive that are related to the accident.
- Talk to a Lyft Accident Lawyer
Regardless of the circumstances involved in the accident, you should talk to a Lyft accident lawyer right away. You will need an experienced lawyer to help protect your rights and fight for just compensation on your behalf. Your lawyer can conduct an investigation to prove liability, calculate your losses, negotiate with the insurance companies, and take your case to court if necessary.
Determining Whose (or What Company’s) Insurance Policy Applies
When you hire a Lyft accident lawyer, one of your lawyer’s first priorities will be to determine what insurance coverage is available. While the Lyft driver’s insurance company might be liable, there are other possibilities as well, and you need to make sure you file the right claim (or claims) in order to pursue the financial compensation you deserve.
So, whose (or what company’s) insurance policy applies? Depending on the facts of your case, you may have a claim under:
- Lyft’s Insurance Policy – Under Florida’s rideshare law, Lyft is required to carry insurance that covers accidents that occur while drivers are logged into the Lyft app. The mandatory coverage limits vary depending on whether a Lyft driver is providing a ride, on the way to pick up a passenger, or waiting to receive a ride request.
- The Lyft Driver’s Insurance Policy – If Lyft’s insurance policy doesn’t apply, then the Lyft driver’s policy might. Florida law also requires rideshare drivers to carry insurance, and drivers’ insurers can be held liable when drivers cause accidents that result in significant or permanent injuries.
- Your Insurance Policy – If you have auto insurance, our Lyft accident attorneys may also be able to help you obtain coverage from your insurance company. Depending on the circumstances of your case, this could include “no fault” personal injury protection (PIP) coverage as well as uninsured/underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage.
- A Third Party’s Insurance Policy – While driver negligence is a common factor in Lyft accidents, other factors can cause (or contribute to causing) these accidents as well. When you choose our firm to represent you, we will explore all options for maximizing your financial recovery.
How Much Can I Recover for a Lyft Accident in Florida?
If you’ve been injured in a Lyft accident in Florida, how much are you entitled to recover? The answer to this question depends on your individual circumstances. The amount you are entitled to recover is related directly to your losses resulting from the accident—including both your financial losses (i.e., medical bills and lost income) and non-financial losses (i.e., pain and suffering).
When you hire a Lyft accident lawyer at Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, your lawyer will work closely with you and your doctors to determine the value of your claim. Your lawyer will carefully assess the long-term financial and non-financial costs of your injuries, and then your lawyer will build a strong case to seek just compensation. Your lawyer will then negotiate on your behalf; and, if you receive a settlement offer, your lawyer will help you decide whether to accept the offer or continue pursuing your claim through litigation and potentially trial.
Your Legal Rights After a Lyft Accident in Florida
As a Lyft car accident victim, it is important to have a clear understanding of your legal rights. Some of your most important rights as a Lyft accident victim in Florida include:
- You have the right to PIP coverage regardless of fault if you have auto insurance (PIP is mandatory coverage in Florida).
- You have the right to collect the evidence you need to prove your case.
- You have the right to be treated fairly by the insurance companies and have your claim (or claims) processed in good faith.
- You have the right to make informed decisions and not be pressured into accepting a low-ball settlement.
- You have the right to hire an experienced Lyft accident lawyer to deal with the insurance companies on your behalf.
Unfortunately, while your legal rights are clear, this doesn’t mean that you can expect the insurance companies to simply pay what they owe. The insurance companies will fight vigorously to avoid liability for your rideshare accident. But, you do not have to give in; and, with an experienced Lyft car accident attorney on your side, you can recover the financial compensation you deserve.
What to Know When Choosing a Lyft Car Accident Lawyer
Drivers and passengers injured in Lyft accidents need an experienced legal representative. So, how do you choose the right Lyft car accident lawyer? Here are three important facts to know when choosing a lawyer to represent you:
- Your Initial Consultation Should Be Free and Without Obligation – Your initial consultation with a Lyft car accident lawyer should be completely free and without obligation. You should have the opportunity to speak with the lawyer in confidence, and you should feel free to make an informed decision about your legal representation.
- Your Lawyer Should Provide Contingency-Fee Representation – When you hire a lawyer for a Lyft car accident, the lawyer should represent you on a contingency-fee basis. This means that you should not have to pay any fees or costs out-of-pocket unless you win, meaning you should not have to pay anything unless you receive a settlement or judgment.
- Your Lawyer Should Be Committed to Maximizing Your Recovery – The lawyer you choose should be committed to maximizing your recovery. While your lawyer should be focused on settling your case for just compensation, your lawyer should also be willing and able to go to trial if necessary.
Speak with a Lyft Accident Lawyer Near You in Tampa for Free 24/7
Do you need to speak with a nearby Lyft accident lawyer? If so, we encourage you to contact our Tampa, FL law offices right away. To get started with a free, no-obligation consultation, call 866-921-3219 or request an appointment online now.