Driving Safety Tips for WinterTrusted Content
Legally reviewed by:Erik Abrahamson, J.D. August 15, 2012
In most parts of the country, drivers need to be prepared for all sorts of weather surprises when it comes to driving safely during the winter. The following five tips will help you stay safe when you are on the road during inclement weather and may help you avoid being injured in a Tampa car accident.
- Buckle up. Wearing a seatbelt can drastically reduce your chances of being seriously injured if you are involved in a motor vehicle accident. Take the time to buckle up no matter how short of distance you may be traveling, and remind all of your passengers to do the same.
- Watch for areas that ice up quickly. Areas like bridges, overpasses and infrequently traveled streets can ice up much more quickly than the rest of the roads when conditions are wet and below freezing. Exercise extra caution while approaching exposed roadways like bridges when you are driving during winter weather.
- Leave plenty of room to stop. Tailgating is a particularly dangerous driving habit during adverse winter weather conditions. Take some advice from the Weather Channel and allow at least three times more space than usual between yourself and the vehicle in front of you when you’re driving on icy roads.
- Stay informed. Weather conditions can change dramatically very quickly, so be sure to stay up to date on the latest forecasts by tuning in to your favorite news channel from time to time.
- Keep an emergency kit in your car. Keeping a handful of basic supplies in your vehicle can really pay off if you happen to find yourself stranded on the road due to winter weather. Edmunds.com recommends that you stock your trunk with some useful, common sense items like a first aid kit, jumper cables, roadside flares, flashlights, blankets, water, oil and a well-stocked toolbox.
Unfortunately, even the safest drivers are often involved in some form of driving accident at some point in their lives. In the event that you are seriously injured in car accident in our area, please contact the Tampa personal injury attorneys at Abrahamson & Uiterwyk today at 1-800-538-4878!