Understanding Florida Boating Accidents: Is Boating Becoming Safer in Florida?Trusted Content
Legally reviewed by:Erik Abrahamson, J.D. June 27, 2014
Recent boating statistics have revealed some promising trends in boating safety throughout the country.
Promising Boating Safety Statistics
The United States Coast Guard produces an annual report that examines trends in boating safety and recreational boating statistics.
The most recent USCG report examines boating statistics from 2012. According to the findings of the report, boating appears to be getting safer in the United States in a handful of key areas.
- Between 2011 and 2012, boating accident fatalities declined in the United States by 12.9%. The fatality rate was 6.2 per registered recreational vessels in 2011 and dropped to 5.4 in 2012.
- The number of boating accidents declined by 1.6 percent between 2011 and 2012.
- The number of boating injuries declined by 2.6 percent between 2011 and 2012.
- The number of overall boating deaths decreased by 14.1 percent between 2011 and 2012.
Contributing Factors to Florida Boating Accidents
The report also revealed that a handful of common safety problems are contributing factors in
many boating accidents, including:
- Operator inattention
- Operator inexperience
- Improper lookout
- Mechanical problems
Alcohol is the leading contributing factor to fatal boating accidents. Intoxication was indicated as the primary contributing factor in 17 percent of boating fatalities in 2012.
Florida Boating Accident Statistics
According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, there were 67 fatalities in Florida that were caused by boating accidents in 2011.
- 94 percent of these fatalities occurred in less than 22 feet of water.
- Drugs or alcohol were a contributing factor in 15 percent of Florida boating fatalities.
- 68 percent of these events involved boating operators under the age of 35.
Have you or a loved one been hurt in Florida boating accident? Call Abrahamson & Uiterwyk today at 1-800-538-4878.
While boating accident statistics appear to show that our waterways are becoming at least a little bit safer, it only takes a moment for a Florida boating accident involving serious injuries to occur.
If you’ve been severely injured in a boating accident in our area, you may need the help of an experienced Florida boating accident lawyer. Call Abrahamson & Uiterwyk today at 1-800-538-4878.