Being involved in a serious car accident can be a traumatic experience no matter what. When you’ve been seriously injured by an uninsured driver, the situation can be even more challenging.
What to Do After a Car Accident with No Insurance
It’s always important to document the details of the incident and your injuries after an accident. This is particularly important in the event of a car accident with an uninsured driver.
- Obtain key information from everyone involved in the accident. Be sure to get names and contact information from any potential witnesses, including other passengers. Get as much information from all drivers who were involved as possible, particularly the individual without insurance, such as:
- Phone numbers
- Driver’s license number
- Vehicle make, model and license plate
- Any insurance information
- Obtain a police report, even if the accident seems fairly minor at the time. A small amount of vehicle damage can result in a surprisingly high repair bill, and the symptoms of some serious injuries are not always present at the scene of an accident.
- Document the details of the accident to the best of your ability. If you have a camera, take pictures detailing vehicle damage and any pertinent information that may capture how the accident took place. Write down the details of the accident as soon as you can while the incident is still fresh in your mind.
Important: Do not accept any type of settlement at the scene
In some cases, an uninsured driver may try to resolve the matter by offering a cash or check settlement at the scene. It’s important to remain as calm and civil as possible after a car accident, but do not accept any offers or make any agreements regarding fault or liability.
Determining how to seek compensation for your injuries
Determining the best way to seek compensation for damages from an accident caused by an uninsured driver can depend on your state, your own insurance policy and the other driver’s personal circumstances.
Some insurance policies include coverage for accidents involving uninsured drivers. Although it may be possible to seek compensation through pursuing a lawsuit against the driver, many uninsured drivers do not have many personal assets.
Speaking with an experience car accident lawyer as soon as possible after your accident can help bring your options into focus.
Have you been seriously injured in an accident in our area? Call the Tampa personal injury lawyers of Abrahamson & Uiterwyk today at 1-800-753-5203.
Our personal injury law team can provide you with a free case evaluation that can help bring your legal options into focus. Call us now at 1-800-753-5203.