“Florida law imposes certain obligations on land-owners and businesses with regard to maintaining and repairing their premises. Our experience is that, in many circumstances, these obligations are ignored…We have extensive experience documenting and proving this negligence.” Erik G. Abrahamson, Senior Partner
If You’ve Been Injured in A Fall, You May Be Entitled to Financial Compensation
“Slip and fall” is a term that is commonly used when referring to an accident that occurs on someone else’s property. Slip-and-fall cases fall under the umbrella of “premises liability,” which includes trips and other non-slip falls as well. In a premises liability case, if a property or business owner’s negligence caused someone else to suffer personal injuries, that person – the victim – can seek full financial compensation for his or her medical bills and other losses.
In other words, premises liability law is designed to protect you if you have been injured as the result of another person’s negligent failure to maintain safe conditions on his or her property. Premises liability law protects guests and “invitees” (which includes shoppers, patients, clients, and others visiting commercial premises), and in some cases it even protects trespassers. To find out if you may be entitled to compensation for a slip-and-fall accident, contact Abrahamson & Uiterwyk for a free consultation today.
Should I Hire a Lawyer for My Slip-and-Fall Case?
In Florida, there is a wide range of repair and maintenance issues that can lead to slips, trips, and falls. Each case is as unique as the property on which it occurs. Securing compensation for a slip-and-fall accident requires proof that the property or business owner is to blame. The following are all common causes of slip-and-fall accidents that may entitle victims to file a premises liability claim:
- Tripping on torn carpeting
- Falling due to a missing or loose railing
- Tripping over an abrupt change in flooring surfaces
- Falling due to unsafe conditions at a swimming pool
- Slipping on moss or algae-covered steps
- Falling over an obstacle due to poor lighting
- Slipping on oil spill in a garage or parking lot
- Stepping in an unprotected pothole
- Falling down crumbling, loose, or poorly-maintained stairs
These types of issues regularly occur at:
- Apartment and condo buildings
- Commercial offices
- Hotels and motels
- Malls and retail stores
- Medical offices and hospitals
- Nursing homes
- Parking garages
- Private residences
- Resorts and entertainment venues
- Restaurants and bars
- Other private and public facilities
While every situation is unique, our personal injury attorneys have been handling premises liability cases for decades. As a result, our premises liability legal team has most likely handled a case similar to yours. If we haven’t, we can use the experience we’ve gained investigating and pursuing countless slip-and-fall cases to help you. We want you to win the compensation that you deserve.
What If My Injuries Aren’t the Result of a Fall?
In addition to injuries occurring due to slips, trips, and falls, individuals who suffer injuries due to other premises-related accidents will often be entitled to seek compensation as well. Examples of other types of premises liability cases which we are available to handle in the Tampa, FL area include:
- Injuries from toxic chemical exposure
- Injuries from toxic mold
- Lead poisoning
- Failure to warn of hazardous conditions on the property
- Improperly maintained equipment
- Injuries from falling objects
- Injuries from other dangerous conditions
Regardless of what happened, if someone else’s negligence is to blame, you may deserve to be compensated. Request a free consultation now to learn more.
What Should I Do After a Slip, Fall, or Other Premises-Related Accident?
After a slip, fall, or other premises-related accident, there are several steps you should try to take right away to protect your legal rights. For example, you generally should:
1. Seek Prompt Medication Attention.
The most important step after any accident is to immediately seek medical attention. Your health is the most important concern, and you could have serious injuries that require prompt diagnosis and treatment.
2. Collect Evidence at the Scene of the Accident.
Provided that you are not too injured to do so, you should try to collect information at the scene of the accident that will aid in your claim for compensation. One of the easiest ways to do this is to take pictures with your phone. Take pictures of everything: The exact location where the accident occurred, the surrounding area, your injuries, any damage to your clothes or personal items, and anything else that you think might possibly be related to the cause of your injury.
If anyone saw what happened or rushed to help you, ask for their names and contact information. These individuals may be able to provide crucial testimony in support of your personal injury claim.
3. Avoid Common Mistakes.
Too often, we see cases in which accident victims have made simple, avoidable mistakes that limited their ability to seek just compensation. These include mistakes like failing to follow doctors’ orders, giving recorded statements to the insurance companies, and accepting settlement checks before they know the full extent of their physical, financial, and emotional harm. We do not want to see you make these mistakes, and during your free initial consultation we will help you understand what you need to do to protect your rights.
4. Speak with an Experienced Premises Liability Attorney.
After seeking treatment for your injuries, it is strongly in your best interests to speak with a premises liability injury attorney as soon as possible. An experienced premises liability lawyer will be able to quickly provide you with an initial assessment of your case, and then conduct a thorough investigation in order to determine whether you may be able to pursue a claim for financial compensation.
DO NOT WAIT! Florida law imposes stringent deadlines for pursuing compensation following a premises-related injury. In addition, the longer you wait to seek help, the more difficult it may become to recover the evidence needed to prove that the property or business owner’s negligence. In short, the sooner you call, the better your chance of pursuing a successful claim.
Why Should I Choose Abrahamson & Uiterwyk?
At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, we have spent the last 25 years helping people just like you. Our slip-and-fall attorneys have represented over 15,000 injury victims, and while every situation is unique, we know what it takes to help victims of slips, falls, and other premises-related accidents win fair compensation. When you choose Abrahamson & Uiterwyk for your premises liability claim in Tampa, you can feel confident knowing that:
- We have decades of relevant experience. We aren’t just lawyers. We are personal injury lawyers.
- We put a team on your side. Unlike other personal injury “law firms” that consist of one lawyer in a virtual office with a shared administrative assistant, Abrahamson & Uiterwyk is a team of 10+ attorneys and 40+ legal professionals who have devoted their careers to helping people in their times of need.
- We are here for you 24/7. We understand that you may not always be able to contact us during normal business hours, and that is why we make ourselves available 24/7 to meet our clients’ needs.
- We fight for maximum compensation. As part of our case assessment, we will work with your doctors, our trusted financial and medical experts, and other skilled professionals in order to quantify the full extent of your accident-related losses. Then, we will use this information to make sure that you do not settle for less than you deserve.
What If I Can’t Afford the Cost of Hiring an Attorney?
At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, we believe that everyone should have equal access to justice – regardless of their financial circumstances. This is why we operate on a 100 percent contingency-fee basis. As a result, when you choose Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, (i) you do not have to pay anything upfront, (ii) you do not have to pay hourly rates, and (iii) you do not have to pay anything unless we help you win fair compensation.
Find Out if You Have a Claim
At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, we are proud of our history of successful representation, and we feel privileged to continue representing Tampa, FL residents in standing up for their legal rights. If you or a family member has been injured in a slip, fall, or other premises-related accident, we encourage you to contact us so that we can assist you in pursuing a claim for rightful compensation. To get started with a free, no-obligation consultation, please call (800) 753-5203 or submit your case online today.