New Port Richey Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Being injured in a motorcycle accident is a traumatic experience.
You should be concentrating on recovering from your injuries and getting back to work instead of being stressed out about pursuing a claim for damages from the driver’s insurance company.
If you need assistance with your injury claim, contact a New Port Richey motorcycle accident lawyer.
Why You Should Work With Abrahamson & Uiterwyk
When choosing a personal injury firm, we know you have many options. You may be wondering what sets our firm apart from the others. There are numerous reasons why we believe Abrahamson & Uiterwyk is your best option, including:
We Have Over Three Decades of Experience in Florida
There will always be new personal injury firms forming, but they may not have the experience necessary to handle your case. Our attorneys have helped over 20,000 clients in our 30+ years of experience.
Our Firm Has Recovered Hundreds of Millions of Dollars for Our Clients
We are proud of our case results. We have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for injured motorcycle accident victims, including jury verdicts and settlements in the six, seven, and eight-figure ranges.
We Take Motorcycle Accident Claims Very Seriously
We are strong advocates for motorcycle rider protection and safety, and we sponsor the Florida Motorcycle Club Facebook group. We take motorcycle accident claims very personally as a number of our lawyers and staff are motorcycle riders too.
We’ve Achieved the Top Professional Accolades and Over 1,000 Five-star Reviews
You don’t have to take our word for why we are the best choice. Read testimonials from our clients and online reviews.
From an industry perspective, we have an A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau, the highest “AV” Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, a national law firm rating system, and a “Best Law Firm” rating from U.S. News and World Report.
We Offer a No-Fee Promise
A no-fee promise means you won’t pay any fees or costs unless we successfully recover compensation for you. With a free initial consultation, you have nothing to lose by meeting with us to understand your case value better.
We Will Take Your Case to Trial if That’s What is in Your Best Interest
Settling your claim for the compensation you deserve is always our preference, but some cases require lengthy litigation before they resolve. In such cases, rest assured we have the experience and resources necessary to try your case in front of a jury.
Motorcycle Rights and Fault in Florida
Motorcycle riders have similar rights and duties as motor vehicle drivers in Florida. Like other drivers, motorcycle riders must obey traffic laws and use care in operating their vehicle.
Also like other drivers, motorcyclists have the right to pursue an accident claim if they are injured by another driver. Motorcyclists have the right to pursue an injury claim without the limitations of Florida’s no-fault laws that other motorists in four-wheeled vehicles must comply with.
However, motorcycle riders must carry a certain amount of liability insurance or have a Self-Insurance Certificate issued by the Bureau of Financial Responsibility.
To successfully recover compensation, you have to prove the other party was at fault. Motorcycle accidents are often due to negligence on the part of the vehicle operator.
You must demonstrate that the driver owed you a duty of care, they breached that duty, and the breach caused your accident and injuries. You also have to prove the amount of damages you suffered. Evidence like your medical records, bills, pay stubs, etc. can help demonstrate your losses.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can occur for a variety of reasons. Some of the more common causes we see include:
- Distracted driving,
- Changing lanes,
- Left-hand turns,
- Road hazards, and
- Motorcyclist splitting lanes.
When compared to passenger vehicles, motorcycle riders are more susceptible to accidents. Motorcycle riders have to always practice defensive driving skills and take extra safety precautions, like wearing a helmet.
New Port Richey Motorcycle Crash Statistics
Riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than driving a vehicle, so it probably comes as no surprise that there are tens of thousands of accidents all across the country.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 89,000 motorcycle injuries countrywide in 2017. 5,172 people died from their injuries, and motorcyclists accounted for 14% of all traffic-related fatalities.
Unfortunately, Florida has seen some of the highest numbers of motorcycle fatalities. In 2015, Florida had more motorcycle fatalities than any other state with 606 deaths.
Of the top 10 counties, Pasco County tied for 9th highest with Brevard County with 22 fatalities. In 2018, Pasco County had 242 motorcycle accidents with 194 injuries and 26 fatalities.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
In many cases, motorcycle accident injuries are severe or even catastrophic. With very little protection compared to motor vehicle occupants, motorcyclists can injure almost any part of the body in a motorcycle accident.
The following of injuries are particularly common in motorcycle accidents.
Traumatic Brain Injuries
Head injuries are prevalent in motorcycle accident claims. Those riders who don’t wear helmets are at a mcuh higher risk of injuries. Traumatic brain injuries, or TBIs, can be catastrophic. Some injured victims are left in a coma for the rest of their lives.
Internal bleeding and damage to organs are also injuries we regularly encounter in motorcycle accidents. In some accidents, a rider’s body makes direct impact with a vehicle, which can lead to a greater chance of internal injuries.
Spinal Cord Injuries
When the impact is severe enough, it can result in spinal cord damage. Spinal cord injuries can be temporary, but they are more likely to be permanent. Victims can be left paralyzed, either paraplegic or quadriplegic.
Crushed Limbs or Broken Bones
Even if the accident is not severe, the bike can tip over in the crash and crush the rider’s leg. Fractures to the wrists and arms are also common when a rider is trying to break their fall.
One of the reasons why motorcycle riders are encouraged to wear proper safety gear is to protect them from road rash in a collision or fall. When your skin makes contact with the road, you can be left with serious abrasions.
These are typically known as road rash. They can be relatively minor or very serious. The more severe the road rash a victim has, the more monitoring is needed. Abrasions from road rash are incredibly susceptible to becoming infected. They may also leave significant permanent scarring.
When Should You Contact an Attorney?
Given that most motorcycle injuries are serious, almost every scenario warrants hiring a New Port Richey motorcycle accident attorney.
Insurance adjusters will try to make you believe you don’t need an attorney, but that’s because they want to settle your case for less. Some insurance adjusters use unfair tactics to reduce your case value. Examples of motorcycle accidents where you need to hire an attorney include:
- You suffered permanent injuries as a result of the accident;
- You need to apply for disability due to the accident;
- The insurance company denied your claim or offered you less than your case is worth;
- You sustained a traumatic brain injury, even a relatively minor one;
- You missed more than a couple days off work;
- You were not wearing a helmet;
- A part on your motorcycle failed in the accident;
- Multiple vehicles were involved; and
- You believe you were partially at fault.
When you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, it’s crucial to work with an experienced attorney. These types of personal injury claims are challenging and can be complicated to pursue.
You need an attorney who has experience negotiating motorcycle injury claims and can protect your rights. Your potential recovery amount is directly linked to the experince of the attorney you retain.
Contact Our New Port Richey Motorcycle Lawyers
It likely comes as no surprise that we receive a lot of questions from potential clients. We’ve taken the time to compile answers to some of the most common ones here.
If you are over 21 years of age, you are not legally required to wear a helmet, provided you have medical coverage of at least $10,000. However, not wearing your helmet could affect your injury claim.
If you sustained head injuries in the accident, the other driver’s insurance company might try to assess a percentage of blame to you.
We cannot say for sure whether your case will need to go to trial. Most motorcycle accident claims settle before going to trial, even before it’s necessary to file a lawsuit.
However, if your case doesn’t resolve through negotiations, we will take it to trial. Our top priority is to get you the compensation you deserve.
Under Florida’s no-fault laws, vehicles like cars, SUVs, and trucks must carry a certain amount of personal injury protection (PIP) and property damage insurance.
PIP can cover a portion of your medical bills and loss of earnings, regardless of who caused the accident. However, PIP doesn’t apply to motorcycle riders, meaning you can pursue recovery of your damages directly from the at-fault driver.
New Port Richey, FL Case Types
The highly-experienced Florida personal injury law firm of Abrahamson & Uiterwyk provides:
- Car accident lawyers in Florida
- Guide to Florida Car Accident Law
- Motorcycle accident lawyers in Florida
- Slip & fall lawyers in Florida
- Truck accident lawyers in Florida
- Bicycle accident lawyers in Florida
- Brain injury lawyers in Florida
- Birth injury lawyers in Florida
- Pedestrian accident lawyers in Florida
- Florida Red Light Car Accident Settlement Lawyers
- Construction accident lawyers in Florida
- Wrongful death lawyers in Florida
- Actos injury lawyers in Florida
- Boating accident lawyers in Florida
- Business interruption insurance lawyers in Florida
- Defective drugs medical device lawyers in Florida
- Dog bite lawyers in Florida
- Drunk driving accident lawyers in Florida
- Insurance disputes lawyers in Florida
- Medical malpractice lawyers in Florida
- Metal hip knee implant lawyers in Florida
- Nursing home abuse lawyers in Florida
- Product liability lawyers in Florida
- Work injury / workers comp lawyers in Florida
Service Area for Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Near You
- Tampa, FL injury lawyers
- Clearwater, FL injury lawyers
- St. Petersburg, FL injury lawyers
- Sarasota, FL injury lawyers
- Orlando, FL injury lawyers
- Bartow, FL injury lawyers
- Brandon, FL injury lawyers
- Brooksville, FL injury lawyers
- Crystal River, FL injury lawyers
- Citrus County, FL injury lawyers
- Dade City, FL injury lawyers
- Homosassa, FL injury lawyers
- Hudson, FL injury lawyers
- Inverness, FL injury lawyers
- Lakeland, FL injury lawyers
- Largo, FL injury lawyers
- Lutz, FL injury lawyers
- New Port Richey, FL injury lawyers
- Oldsmar, FL injury lawyers
- Palm Harbor, FL injury lawyers
- Pinellas Park, FL injury lawyers
- Plant City, FL injury lawyers
- Port Richey, FL injury lawyers
- Riverview, FL injury lawyers
- Ruskin, FL injury lawyers
- Sebring, FL injury lawyers
- Spring Hill, FL injury lawyers
- Sumter County, FL injury lawyers
- Tarpon Springs, FL injury lawyers
- Town ‘N’ Country, FL injury lawyers
- Wesley Chapel, FL injury lawyers
- Winter Haven, FL injury lawyers
- Zephyrhills, FL injury lawyers
…and the surrounding area!