New Port Richey Truck Accident Lawyer
“Because of the significant weight and mass involved with tractor trailers, accidents involving trucks frequently result in catastrophic injuries or death….” – Erik G. Abrahamson, Senior Partner
Being injured in a large truck accident can have long-lasting consequences. The road to recovery may be long, requiring surgery, extensive rehabilitation, and more.
You could lose significant time from work or be unable to return to your old career. Some accident victims never fully recover and are left with residual pain for the rest of their lives.
If you were the victim of a large truck accident, it’s time to contact a New Port Richey truck accident lawyer.
At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, our team of personal injury lawyers is here to help. As you decide which truck accident law firm is right for you, here are some essential things to keep in mind.
What is the Firm’s Experience With Commercial Truck Accidents?
At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, we have over 30 years of experience representing clients for personal injury claims.
Does the Firm Have Someone Available When You Need Them?
The New Port Richey truck accident lawyers at Abrahamson & Uiterwyk are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so someone will always be available to take your call.
Does This Offer Free Consultations and Contingency-Fee Billing?
At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, we don’t charge for the initial consultation, and we offer a no-fee promise. That means you will never pay any legal fees or costs unless we are successful and win your case.
What is the Firm’s Record With Successful Settlement Negotiations and Favorable Jury Awards?
Our truck accident lawyers have negotiated thousands of settlements and received countless favorable jury verdicts, securing hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients.
Does This Firm Have the Necessary Personnel to Handle a Large Truck Accident Claim?
We have a group of experienced personal injury attorneys and professional legal staff, so rest assured, your case is in good hands at Abrahamson & Uiterwyk.
Commercial Truck Accident Statistics
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) releases annual statistics on commercial vehicle collisions, injuries, and deaths across the country. These numbers demonstrate that accidents and fatalities are still on the rise.
While the numbers may be lower than some of the recent all-time high years, they still show a steady increase, which is very concerning. The most recent data indicates that in 2017:
- 4,657 large trucks were involved in fatal accidents, up 10% from the year before;
- 107,000 injury collisions involved large trucks, up 5% from the year before;
- Fatal crashes involving large trucks or buses increased by 40% between 2009 and 2017;
- Injury collisions involving large trucks or buses increased by 62% between 2009 and 2015;
- 82% of the fatalities in large truck accidents were not occupants of the large truck;
- Most collisions involving large trucks occur during the weekdays; and
- 35% of all fatality accidents happened between the hours of 6:00 PM and 6:00 AM.
Crucial Steps to Take After an 18-wheeler Accident
Understandably, you may be in shock and unsure of what to do in the minutes following an 18-wheeler truck accident. Most importantly, you need to remain calm and get somewhere safe. After an injury accident, you should:
- Call 911 to report injuries and get the police to respond to the scene. If EMTs recommend you be transported to the hospital, follow their instructions.
- Exchange contact information at the scene with all parties and gather pertinent details like the trucking company name and truck registration number. Try to take photos of the scene, the damage, truck trailer, license plate, etc.
- Watch what you say at the scene of an accident, including to law enforcement. Even a simple “I’m sorry” could be construed as an admission of guilt.
- Get medical attention as soon as possible if you did not require to be transported to the hospital from the scene. It could take one or two days for some injuries to become apparent, or you may have internal injuries you aren’t aware of at all.
Once you’ve reported the accident to your insurance company, now is the time to consider discussing your legal rights with an experienced New Port Richey truck accident attorney.
Common Causes of 18-Wheeler Accidents
Large truck accidents occur for a wide variety of reasons. Some of these are the same as any other type of crash, while others are more specific to large 18-wheeler trucks. The most common causes of large truck collisions include:
- Distracted driving;
- Fatigued drivers who have been on the road over their allotted service hours;
- Equipment failure due to not completing required pre-trip inspections and safety checks;
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
- Not securing cargo properly or overloading the truck;
- Aggressive driving or traffic law violations;
- Defective truck parts; and
- Unqualified drivers.
Depending on the circumstances, multiple factors may have led to your accident. If your situation is not listed here, do not despair. These are only a few of the most common causes of 18-wheeler accidents. There are plenty of other acts of negligence that can lead to an injury collision.
Common Truck Crash Injuries
When a large truck and passenger vehicle collide, the resulting injuries can be catastrophic. Some of the more common injuries we see in New Port Richey large truck accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injury,
- Internal organ damage,
- Spinal cord injuries,
- Third-degree burns,
- Crushed limbs,
- Other spinal injuries, and
- Amputated limbs.
Many injuries sustained in 18-wheeler accidents are permanent. It’s not uncommon for victims to undergo multiple surgeries and months of rehabilitation.
Medical costs for some of these injuries are typically astronomical, so it’s crucial to retain the right New Port Richey truck accident attorney who can help you recover damages.
When is a Lawyer Necessary?
In nearly every truck accident scenario, retaining a personal injury attorney is recommended. That is especially true when there are severe injuries like those listed above or a loved one passed away.
Accidents where liability is disputed or the other driver’s insurance denied your claim also warrant an attorney’s assistance.
The only time when hiring a lawyer isn’t vital is an accident with no injuries and very little damage. However, these types of accidents are rare when a large truck is involved.
Before deciding you don’t need an attorney, give us a call to discuss your case’s circumstances. Our consultation is free, which means you benefit from an experienced attorney explaining your best option without incurring any additional costs or fees.
Determining Fault in Florida
Large truck accidents are complicated. While the truck driver may be liable for your injuries, other parties may need to be held accountable too.
For example, the trucking company is usually held responsible for their drivers’ actions if they are employees. If the driver was not qualified or didn’t possess the proper license, you could have a claim for negligent hiring.
Was the accident due in part to a mechanical failure? If someone worked on the truck before the trip, that mechanic shop could share some liability. Was a truck part faulty? Then you may have a claim against the part manufacturer.
When a truck’s cargo is not secured correctly or the truck is overweight, someone needs to be held accountable. Some trucking companies use outside cargo loading services, which can be held liable for your injuries in some cases.
Sample Case Results and Client Reviews
With over 30 years of experience representing clients in the greater Tampa area, we have handled numerous 18-wheeler accidents. To better understand what we can do for you, here are two examples of prior large truck accident cases we’ve resolved:
- $5 million truck accident in Hillsborough County—A truck traveling too fast struck our client who made a left turn across I-275. Our client’s injuries included severe neurological problems.
- $2.5 million in Hillsborough County—This truck accident case was resolved by a jury trial. Our client severe disc injuries to her neck that required an anterior cervical fusion.
If you want to know more about our case results, don’t just take our word for it. Read some of our prior clients’ reviews on our client testimonial page. Here you can check out some of the five-star reviews we’ve received online.
Get Questions About Your Truck Accident Answered
If you have questions about a large truck accident or want to know whether it’s worth pursuing a claim against the at-fault party, contact Abrahamson & Uiterwyk today.
With our decades of experience, you can relax knowing your case is in good hands. We will work tirelessly to get you the compensation you deserve.
Frequently Asked Questions About Large Truck Accidents
Understandably, we receive a lot of questions from potential clients about large truck accidents. We’ve taken the time to compile answers to the most common ones we receive.
Because every case is different, there is no average settlement amount for large truck accident claims. Accident facts, injury types, liability, and severity of injuries are some factors that influence how much your case is worth.
In most cases, you may be eligible to pursue compensation for damages like current and future medical expenses, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, pain and suffering, and mental anguish.
Florida is a modified comparative negligence state. This means that if you are found to be no more than 50% at fault for the accident, your recovery is reduced by the same proportion as your percentage of fault. As an example, if you are found to be 20% at fault in an accident, you may still recover 80% of your damages in a lawsuit. If, however, your percentage of fault is found to be more than 50%, you are barred from any recovery under the law.
New Port Richey, FL Case Types
The highly-experienced Florida personal injury law firm of Abrahamson & Uiterwyk provides:
- Car accident lawyers in Florida
- Guide to Florida Car Accident Law
- Motorcycle accident lawyers in Florida
- Slip & fall lawyers in Florida
- Truck accident lawyers in Florida
- Bicycle accident lawyers in Florida
- Brain injury lawyers in Florida
- Birth injury lawyers in Florida
- Pedestrian accident lawyers in Florida
- Florida Red Light Car Accident Settlement Lawyers
- Construction accident lawyers in Florida
- Wrongful death lawyers in Florida
- Actos injury lawyers in Florida
- Boating accident lawyers in Florida
- Business interruption insurance lawyers in Florida
- Defective drugs medical device lawyers in Florida
- Dog bite lawyers in Florida
- Drunk driving accident lawyers in Florida
- Insurance disputes lawyers in Florida
- Medical malpractice lawyers in Florida
- Metal hip knee implant lawyers in Florida
- Nursing home abuse lawyers in Florida
- Product liability lawyers in Florida
- Work injury / workers comp lawyers in Florida
Service Area for Truck Accident Attorneys Near You
- Tampa, FL injury lawyers
- Clearwater, FL injury lawyers
- St. Petersburg, FL injury lawyers
- Sarasota, FL injury lawyers
- Orlando, FL injury lawyers
- Bartow, FL injury lawyers
- Brandon, FL injury lawyers
- Brooksville, FL injury lawyers
- Crystal River, FL injury lawyers
- Citrus County, FL injury lawyers
- Dade City, FL injury lawyers
- Homosassa, FL injury lawyers
- Hudson, FL injury lawyers
- Inverness, FL injury lawyers
- Lakeland, FL injury lawyers
- Largo, FL injury lawyers
- Lutz, FL injury lawyers
- New Port Richey, FL injury lawyers
- North Port, FL injury lawyers
- Oldsmar, FL injury lawyers
- Palm Harbor, FL injury lawyers
- Pinellas Park, FL injury lawyers
- Plant City, FL injury lawyers
- Port Richey, FL injury lawyers
- Riverview, FL injury lawyers
- Ruskin, FL injury lawyers
- Safety Harbor, FL injury lawyers
- Sebring, FL injury lawyers
- Seminole, FL injury lawyers
- Spring Hill, FL injury lawyers
- Sumter County, FL injury lawyers
- Tarpon Springs, FL injury lawyers
- Town ‘N’ Country, FL injury lawyers
- Wesley Chapel, FL injury lawyers
- Winter Haven, FL injury lawyers
- Zephyrhills, FL injury lawyers
…and the surrounding area!