Sarasota Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has sustained injuries in a car accident in or near Sarasota, Florida, you might be wondering what to do.
The aftermath of a car accident can be a stressful and time-consuming process. But know that you are not alone.
The Sarasota car accident attorneys at Abrahamson & Uiterwyk are here to help.
Contact us today to discuss your case and see what your options are moving forward. Doing so can be the first step in getting the compensation you need to work toward your recovery.
Four Critical Steps to Take After an Accident
According to the National Safety Council, there were an estimated 4.4 million car-accident-related injuries in 2019 that were serious enough to require medical attention.
Despite recent advances in motor vehicle safety measures, the fact remains that car accidents are a serious safety concern nationwide.
So, what should you do after a car accident in Sarasota, Florida? Here are four critical steps that you should always take after an accident.
Step 1: Pull Over and Call the Authorities
After a car accident, it is important that you move your vehicle out of harm’s way. If you are safely able to do so, pull over to the side of the road to avoid any further collisions or damage.
After you are in a safe place, call 911. Not only is it important to report your accident to the authorities, but in some scenarios, it is required. Under Florida law, you must report any motor vehicle crash that:
- Results in death of or personal injury to any parties of passengers involved in the crash;
- Results in property damage of at least $500;
- Involves a party driving under the influence;
- Renders a vehicle inoperable to a degree
sthat requires a wrecker to remove it from the scene of the crash; or
- Involves a commercial motor vehicle.
Failure to report your accident can result in a traffic infraction. Thus, even if you are unsure whether the circumstances of your accident require you to contact the authorities, it may be best to do so just in case.
Step 2: Check for Injuries and Seek Immediate Medical Attention
After an accident, the health and safety of you and your passengers should be your first priority. Check for any injuries
, and call an ambulance if there are any that need to be addressed immediately.
Even if there are no visible or seemingly significant injuries, you should still seek medical attention as soon as practicable. Some injuries, such as internal bleeding or head trauma, may not be visible to the naked eye.
Other times, you may not notice any physical pain due to adrenaline after your accident. Thus, it is crucial that you seek a diagnosis from a medical professional. Doing so can help identify injuries you may not have noticed and prevent the worsening of any other injuries that exist.
Step 3: Collect Potential Evidence and Information at the Scene
If you are physically able, you should always try to collect potential evidence and relevant information. In fact, some information, such as names of witnesses or photos of the accident scene, may no longer be available if you don’t gather it immediately after the accident. For this reason, it is important to collect what you can before leaving the scene.
Within 10 days after the crash, you must complete and submit a formal Florida Traffic Crash Report. This report must include:
- The date, time, and location of the crash;
- A description of the vehicles involved;
- The names and addresses of the parties involved (including all drivers and passengers);
- The names and addresses of any witnesses to the accident;
- The name, badge number, and law enforcement agency of the officer investigating the crash; and
- The names of the insurance companies for the parties involved in the crash.
By collecting evidence and information at the scene of the accident, you will make the post-accident process much easier. Further, any information you collect may later become useful evidence for your Sarasota car accident case.
Step 4: Contact a Sarasota Auto Accident Attorney
The fourth step you should always take after an accident is to contact a car accident lawyer in Sarasota.
While acquiring legal representation may not be the first thing on your mind after an accident, it should definitely be near the top of your list. Depending on the severity of your injuries and the complexities of your case, an experienced Sarasota car accident lawyer can be the difference between not getting enough compensation to cover your injuries and maximizing your recovery.
The car accident process can be long and complicated, but a Sarasota accident attorney can make all the difference.
Important Things to Know About Your Sarasota Car Accident Case
If you or a loved one was in a car accident, you may have a claim for relief. However, before you take the next steps, there are certain things you should know to help maximize your claim.
Be Careful When Speaking With Insurance Companies
Be aware that you are not required to talk to the other side’s insurance company. You have no obligation to answer their questions.
They don’t work for you, and they don’t represent your best interests. In fact, they will probably try to use your statements against you later.
The insurance adjuster might make you a settlement offer. However, don’t feel pressured to accept their offer until you’ve reviewed it with your lawyer.
When you hire one of our attorneys, you can tell the insurance company to contact us instead. We can review their offer and negotiate the claim to work toward getting you the compensation you deserve.
Factors That Impact Settlement Amount
Knowing what you may be entitled to recover is critical to determining how best to move forward.
While there is no average settlement amount in a Sarasota car accident case, there are certain factors that will impact your potential settlement amount. These factors might include:
- The extent and severity of your injuries;
- Whether and to what extent there was any property damage;
- Whether you had any pre-existing injuries or conditions prior to the accident; and
- The proportion of your fault in causing the accident, if any.
Depending on these factors, your settlement amount may fluctuate. Each case is different, but an experienced Sarasota accident attorney can help you determine what your case might be worth.
Is a Lawyer Really Necessary?
There is no requirement that you hire a Sarasota car accident attorney for your case. However, having one can be a great asset for you.
An attorney can assist in retrieving documents like police reports and witness statements. An attorney can also assess your case and potential damages and help you negotiate with opposing parties and insurance companies.
In short, an attorney can be an effective tool to help guide you through the complicated legal process and fight to maximize your recovery.
How We Can Help Win Your Case
Dealing with the aftermath of a car accident can be a long, stressful, and often complicated road. But you can rest assured knowing that we will be there for you at every step along the way.
In addition to providing aggressive legal representation, we also pride ourselves on treating each of our clients as if they were our only one.
We will fight for your rights so you don’t have to. That way, you can focus on what truly matters—your recovery.
Abrahamson & Uiterwyk Case Results
Through both settlements and jury verdicts, our team has helped thousands of clients get the compensation they need and deserve. We are honored to say that we have recovered more than $300,000,000 for accident victims throughout Florida.
While we can never guarantee an outcome for any given case, what we can guarantee is that we will do everything in our power to fight for your rights and be your advocate.
Contact a Sarasota Car Accident Attorney Today
If you are ready to take the next steps in your car accident case, contact Abrahamson & Uiterwyk today.
Our team of attorneys and legal staff has been dedicated to helping accident victims in need for over 30 years. We have helped countless Floridians get the compensation they deserve, and we are ready to fight to do the same for you. Contact us today for a free consultation
, and see how we can help.
What Our Clients Say About Us On Google:
Getting hit by a driver who doesn’t have enough (or any) auto insurance can be frustrating, but don’t panic. There are still ways in which you may be able to pursue compensation. Don’t give up—talk to us first.
Most cases are settled out-of-court. However, some inevitably end up at trial. Our team of experienced trial attorneys has what it takes to take your case to trial. We will settle your case only if that is what is best for you. Otherwise, we will do everything in our power to get you the compensation you deserve.
We don’t want money to be a barrier to getting the representation you need. We take accident cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that you will pay nothing upfront. Thus, you won’t pay us any fees unless and until we win your case.
Car Crash Statistics in Sarasota County
Motor vehicle accidents are responsible for a large percentage of the accidental serious injuries and fatalities in the United States, and the same fact applies to Sarasota County. The statistics below show just how common injury-causing accidents are in Sarasota.
When we take a closer look at the data, we see that of the 50 fatalities caused by vehicle accidents in Sarasota County:
Sarasota, FL Case Types
The highly-experienced Florida personal injury law firm of Abrahamson & Uiterwyk provides:
- Car accident lawyers in Florida
- Guide to Florida Car Accident Law
- Motorcycle accident lawyers in Florida
- Slip & fall lawyers in Florida
- Truck accident lawyers in Florida
- Bicycle accident lawyers in Florida
- Brain injury lawyers in Florida
- Birth injury lawyers in Florida
- Pedestrian accident lawyers in Florida
- Florida Red Light Car Accident Settlement Lawyers
- Construction accident lawyers in Florida
- Wrongful death lawyers in Florida
- Actos injury lawyers in Florida
- Boating accident lawyers in Florida
- Business interruption insurance lawyers in Florida
- Defective drugs medical device lawyers in Florida
- Dog bite lawyers in Florida
- Drunk driving accident lawyers in Florida
- Insurance disputes lawyers in Florida
- Medical malpractice lawyers in Florida
- Metal hip knee implant lawyers in Florida
- Nursing home abuse lawyers in Florida
- Product liability lawyers in Florida
- Work injury / workers comp lawyers in Florida
Service Area for Car Wreck Attorneys Near You
- Tampa, FL injury lawyers
- Clearwater, FL injury lawyers
- St. Petersburg, FL injury lawyers
- Sarasota, FL injury lawyers
- Orlando, FL injury lawyers
- Bartow, FL injury lawyers
- Brandon, FL injury lawyers
- Brooksville, FL injury lawyers
- Crystal River, FL injury lawyers
- Citrus County, FL injury lawyers
- Dade City, FL injury lawyers
- Homosassa, FL injury lawyers
- Hudson, FL injury lawyers
- Inverness, FL injury lawyers
- Lakeland, FL injury lawyers
- Largo, FL injury lawyers
- Lutz, FL injury lawyers
- New Port Richey, FL injury lawyers
- Oldsmar, FL injury lawyers
- Palm Harbor, FL injury lawyers
- Pinellas Park, FL injury lawyers
- Plant City, FL injury lawyers
- Port Richey, FL injury lawyers
- Riverview, FL injury lawyers
- Ruskin, FL injury lawyers
- Sebring, FL injury lawyers
- Spring Hill, FL injury lawyers
- Sumter County, FL injury lawyers
- Tarpon Springs, FL injury lawyers
- Town ‘N’ Country, FL injury lawyers
- Wesley Chapel, FL injury lawyers
- Winter Haven, FL injury lawyers
- Zephyrhills, FL injury lawyers
…and the surrounding area!