Tampa Slip and Fall Attorney
Florida law imposes certain obligations on land-owners and businesses with regard to maintaining and repairing their premises. Our experience is that, in many circumstances, these obligations are ignored…We have extensive experience documenting and proving this negligence. – Erik G. Abrahamson, Senior Partner
At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, we have spent the last 30 years helping people just like you.
Our Tampa slip and fall attorneys are nearby and have represented over 20,000 injury victims, and while every situation is unique, we know what it takes to help victims of slips, falls, and other premises-related accidents pursue fair compensation.
When you choose Abrahamson & Uiterwyk for your premises liability claim in Tampa, you can feel confident knowing that:
- We have decades of relevant experience. We aren’t just lawyers. We are lawyers who have recovered tens of millions for victims of slip, trip, fall, and other premises liability injuries.
- We put an entire team of slip and fall attorneys on your side. Unlike other injury and accident “law firms” that consist of one lawyer in a virtual office with a shared administrative assistant, Abrahamson & Uiterwyk is a team of attorneys and legal professionals who have devoted their careers to helping people recover from slip and fall injuries.
- We are here for you. We understand that you may not always be able to contact us during normal business hours, and that is why we make ourselves available after normal business hours including evenings and weekends.
- We fight for maximum compensation. As part of our case assessment, we will work with your doctors, our trusted financial and medical experts, and other skilled professionals in order to quantify the full extent of your slip and fall accident-related losses. Then, we will use this information to make sure that you do not settle for less than you deserve. Our experience is that in many cases the insurance companies deny liability and fail to make any offered to the injured fall victim. Below are some examples of actual “slip and fall” clients of ours, the initial offer, as well as our ultimate case result.
|Initial Offer||Final Result|
The A&U Difference
Hiring a slip and fall lawyer in Tampa to represent you is a vital decision. If you aren’t quite ready to contact our firm, we understand, and we encourage you to keep reading to gain a better understanding of what the slip and fall claims process looks like in Florida.
Types of Tampa Slip and Fall Cases We Most Often Handle
Slip and fall accidents (usually resulting from premises negligence) are quite common. Fall cases are a focus of our injury law team. These cases are not easy, but we have a track record of success on slip and fall cases. Here are some examples of negligent conditions which have caused our clients injury.
An Overview of Florida Premises Liability Law
Premises liability law is designed to protect you if you have been injured as the result of another person’s negligent failure to maintain safe conditions on his or her property. Premises liability law protects guests and “invitees” (which includes shoppers, patients, clients, and others visiting commercial premises), and in some cases it even protects trespassers.
To find out if you may be entitled to compensation for a slip-and-fall accident, contact our Tampa slip and fall lawyers for a free consultation today.
The Elements of a Florida Slip and Fall Injury Claim
Property owners in Florida have a responsibility to keep their property in a condition that is reasonably safe so that people who enter the property are not injured. This responsibility is also called “premises liability” and holds property owners liable when their negligence causes injury to occur on their property. Premises liability claims can range from slips, trips and falls on a public sidewalk to an injury suffered at a theme park. But what needs to be proven to bring a case for a slip and fall?
The Property Owner had a Duty to the Victim
It must be established that the property owner had a duty to maintain their premises in a safe condition. This is established by showing that the victim was not a trespasser. For most slip and fall cases, this is the easiest element to prove.
The Property Owner Acted Negligently
It must also be shown that the property owner breached their duty and therefore acted negligently. In order to prove this element, it must be shown that:
- There was a dangerous condition on the property
- The property owner caused the dangerous condition, knew about the dangerous condition, or should have known about the dangerous condition
- The dangerous condition was likely to cause injury
- The property owner failed to fix the dangerous condition or failed to warn others of the existence of the dangerous condition
Most slip and fall claims hinge on proving this element. If a property owner was not aware of a dangerous condition, then they may not be liable for injuries that result from the condition. Timing may be essential in proving this element. If, for example, you slip and fall on a wet substance as the result of a customer spilling a drink on the floor, the business owner may not be liable if they did not know about the spill or did not have time to address the spill.
The Dangerous Condition Caused the Injury
In order to establish a valid slip and fall claim, it must also be proven that the property owner’s failure to maintain the property in a safe condition resulted in an injury. This means that the dangerous condition must be a direct cause of the injury.
Proving a slip and fall claim can be complicated. That’s why it can be helpful to have an experienced premises liability attorney on your side.
What Damages Can be Claimed in a Slip and Fall Injury Case?
Determining what types of damages may apply to a particular slip and fall accident typically depends on the cause of an accident and the extent of a victim’s injuries.
Understanding Compensatory vs Punitive Damages
The types of compensation that may be available to a personal injury victim tend to fall under either compensatory damages or punitive damages.
- Compensatory damages include compensation for the monetary and non-monetary losses that an injury victim may have suffered due to an accident.
- Punitive damages include additional financial compensation that is designed to punish a defendant for the behavior that caused an accident to take place. Examples of the types of behavior that may justify seeking punitive damages include gross negligence and drunk driving.
Types of Compensatory Damages
- Monetary Damages: A serious slip and fall injury can result in considerable financial expenses in the form of medical bills, lost income and other losses. Injury victims may be able to seek compensation for these expenses in the form of monetary damages.
- Non-monetary Damages: In addition to their financial losses and expenses, injury victims may be able to seek compensation for other types of losses, such as their pain and suffering.
What Should I Do After a Slip, Fall, or Other Premises-Related Accident?
After a slip, fall, or other premises-related accident, there are several steps you should try to take right away to protect your legal rights. For example, you generally should:
1. Seek Prompt Medication Attention.
The most important step after any accident is to immediately seek medical attention. Your health is the most important concern, and you could have serious injuries that require prompt diagnosis and treatment.
2. Collect Evidence at the Scene of the Accident.
Provided that you are not too injured to do so, you should try to collect information at the scene of the accident that will aid in your claim for compensation. One of the easiest ways to do this is to take pictures with your phone. Take pictures of everything: The exact location where the accident occurred, the surrounding area, your injuries, any damage to your clothes or personal items, and anything else that you think might possibly be related to the cause of your injury.
If anyone saw what happened or rushed to help you, ask for their names and contact information. These individuals may be able to provide crucial testimony in support of your personal injury claim.
3. Avoid Common Mistakes.
Too often, we see cases in which accident victims have made simple, avoidable mistakes that limited their ability to seek just compensation. These include mistakes like failing to follow doctors’ orders, giving recorded statements to the insurance companies, and accepting settlement checks before they know the full extent of their physical, financial, and emotional harm. We do not want to see you make these mistakes, and during your free initial consultation, we will help you understand what you need to do to protect your rights.
4. Speak with our Experienced Tampa Slip and Fall Injury Lawyers.
After seeking treatment for your injuries, it is strongly in your best interests to speak with a premises liability injury attorney as soon as possible. Our experienced premises liability lawyers will be able to quickly provide you with an initial assessment of your case, and then conduct a thorough investigation in order to determine whether you may be able to pursue a claim for financial compensation.
DO NOT WAIT! Florida law imposes stringent deadlines for pursuing compensation following a premises-related injury. In addition, the longer you wait to seek help, the more difficult it may become to recover the evidence needed to prove that the property or business owner’s negligence. In short, the sooner you call, the better your chance of pursuing a successful claim.
What are the Most Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents?
In Florida, there is a wide range of repair and maintenance issues that can lead to slips, trips, and falls. Each case is as unique as the property on which it occurs. Securing compensation for a slip-and-fall accident requires proof that the property or business owner is to blame, and may well necessitate the need for experienced Tampa slip and fall attorneys. The following are all common causes of slip-and-fall accidents that may entitle victims to file a premises liability claim:
- Tripping on torn carpeting
- Falling due to a missing or loose railing
- Tripping over an abrupt change in flooring surfaces
- Falling due to unsafe conditions at a swimming pool
- Slipping on moss or algae-covered steps
- Falling over an obstacle due to poor lighting
- Slipping on oil spill in a garage or parking lot
- Stepping in an unprotected pothole
- Falling down crumbling, loose, or poorly-maintained stairs
These types of issues regularly occur at:
- Apartment and condo buildings
- Commercial offices
- Hotels and motels
- Malls and retail stores
- Medical offices and hospitals
- Nursing homes
- Parking garages
- Private residences
- Resorts and entertainment venues
- Restaurants and bars
- Other private and public facilities
While every situation is unique, our Tampa slip and fall lawyers have been handling premises liability cases for decades. As a result, we will fight for your rights and dedicate our time, experience, resources, and talent to help you through the entire process. We want you to win the compensation that you deserve.
Why Should I Hire Tampa Slip and Fall Lawyer for My Case?
When you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, it can be a stressful time. You may have serious injuries and substantial medical bills for which you would like to be reimbursed. The decision to hire an attorney for your slip and fall accident is a personal one, but there are some important reasons why you should consider doing so.
A Slip and Fall Lawyer Can Prove Liability
In order to prove a slip and fall case, you must show that someone is liable for your injury. This means you have to prove that someone acted negligently. In a slip and fall case, it’s not always easy to determine whether someone is liable for your injuries. A lawyer can investigate and gather evidence to determine what caused your injury. Once a cause has been found, a lawyer must then establish whether the property owner knew, or should have known, about the dangerous condition. This can be difficult to prove and requires significant legal experience. At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, we’ve handled thousands of slip and fall cases and know the necessary steps to take in order to prove liability.
A Slip and Fall Attorney Can Prove Damages
It is important that all of your damages are properly documented. A lawyer can collect and organize documents regarding your lost wages and all of your medical records and bills. A lawyer with experience in handling slip and fall cases will be in a good position to evaluate your case and determine the amount of compensation to pursue based on your injuries. A lawyer can also determine whether further medical treatment is needed and whether the case requires the assistance of expert witnesses.
A Premises Liability Lawyer Can Handle the Insurance Company
One of the most important reasons for hiring a lawyer for your slip and fall case is so that you don’t have to deal with the hassle of communicating with the insurance company or the attorney for the other side. You should be able to focus on healing as a result of your injuries without having to fight for compensation. A lawyer can handle all communications with the insurance company and provide it with evidence of your injuries and of liability. At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, we deal with insurance companies every day and know the right way to handle them.
Negligent Premises Conditions Other than Slip & Fall
In addition to injuries occurring due to slips, trips, and falls, individuals who suffer injuries due to other premises-related accidents will often be entitled to seek compensation as well. Examples of other types of premises liability cases which our Tampa slip and fall lawyers are available to handle in the Tampa, FL area include:
- Injuries from toxic chemical exposure
- Injuries from toxic mold
- Lead poisoning
- Failure to warn of hazardous conditions on the property
- Improperly maintained equipment
- Injuries from falling objects
- Injuries from other dangerous conditions
Regardless of what happened, if someone else’s negligence is to blame, you may deserve to be compensated. Request a free consultation now to learn more.
Sample Tampa Slip and Fall / Premises Liability Case Results
We are proud of our long history of significant slip and fall and premises liability settlements and verdicts for folks in Tampa. Below are a few examples of results we’ve fought to obtain for our Hillsborough County slip and fall / dangerous property clients.
Past results do not guarantee a similar outcome in your case.