Clearwater Personal Injury & Accident Lawyers
Are you considering speaking with a Clearwater injury attorney? If you’ve suffered a personal injury, consulting with a lawyer is the best way to protect your interests and your future. Here are a few reasons to call Abrahamson & Uiterwyk in Clearwater:
- We’ve practiced in Clearwater for over 30 years. The sad truth is that there are more than a few personal injury law firms that pretend to be located in Clearwater, when in reality they aren’t. At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk our roots run deep. We’re proud to have helped generations of injured folks in Clearwater get their life back on track.
- It costs you $0 up-front to retain our legal services. Like some personal injury lawyers in Clearwater, we do not require an up-front fee. Rather, we work on a contingency fee basis. This means that our fee is determined by how much money we recover for you, not how much time we spend on your case. We collect our fees after we’ve finished the job, not up-front.
- We have earned a reputation for professional excellence. Whether it’s our A+ Rating with the BBB, our “Best Law Firm” rating by U.S. News and World Report, our “AV Preeminent” Rating with Martindale-Hubbell, or hundreds of positive of Google reviews, we have earned a reputation for professional excellence in the area of personal injury law.
With over 30 years of experience, our Clearwater accident and injury lawyers at Abrahamson & Uiterwyk have represented over 20,000 personal injury victims and we have recovered over $300 million dollars in financial compensation for our injured clients. If you’ve been injured, we invite you to contact our firm today for a free and immediate case evaluation.
If you’re not ready to speak with a Clearwater accident lawyer yet, no problem. Keep reading this page for information that will help you understand the next steps you ought to take, and how we can help you in the aftermath of a personal injury.
Injured in Clearwater? Here’s what to do (and what NOT to do):
In the period immediately following a personal injury causing accident it’s important that you take the correct steps, and avoiding doing anything that might harm your claim to compensation. Let’s start with what not to do:
- DON’T make any statements that could potentially be used against you. In particular, avoiding saying anything to anyone which indicates fault. Even statements as casual as “sorry about that” or “my bad” can be used to diminish your claim.
- DON’T agree to give a recorded statement to the insurance adjuster. It sounds cynical, but the plain fact is that the insurance company is not your friend. They want to pay you as little as possible. Do not give a recorded statement until speaking with an experienced Clearwater accident injury lawyer.
Here are the steps that you do want to take after an accident:
- Attend to any injuries. Your first concern is your physical safety and well-being. If you are able, call an ambulance and ask to be taken to the emergency room if necessary.
- Call the police. It’s always a good idea to have the police at the scene immediately after a bad traffic accident so that they can prepare an accurate report. Once the report is filed, here’s how to get your Clearwater accident report.
- Get the other driver’s registration and insurance information. Make sure you carefully document the name, phone number, address, drivers’ license number, license plate numbers, and similar information from the other driver (or drivers) involved.
- Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses. Any bystanders who saw the accident firsthand may play an important part in insurance claims or litigation.
- Snap pictures of your car and the scene of the accident. If you feel up to it, taking photos of your injuries – or having someone else do so for you – can serve as evidence in a lawsuit. They can also serve as a basis for what your insurance pays if you file a claim.
- Tell your insurance company about the accident. Be prompt in notifying your insurance company, as any delays can also mean delays in your compensation you might be able to receive.
- Call an experienced attorney. Talk to a lawyer who focuses only on personal injury cases. Your accident claim may be worth far more than you realize.
Clearwater Personal Injury & Car Accident FAQs
Q: Can I seek compensation if I was injured by a driver who was texting?
Yes. Texting behind the wheel is a form of distracted driving, and it has quickly become one of the leading causes of vehicle collisions. If you believe that the driver who hit you was texting at the time of the accident, we can use this to help you seek proper financial compensation.
Q: What other types of driving mistakes can support claims for compensation?
Some additional common forms of driver negligence include:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving while fatigued (and falling asleep behind the wheel)
- Merging without looking
- Running red lights and stop signs
- Other forms of inattentive and reckless driving
Q: Can non-driver-related issues support claims for compensation?
Yes. While driver error is the most common cause of car accidents, there are a variety of other factors that can cause and contribute to dangerous accidents as well. Defective parts, faulty maintenance jobs, improper cargo loading, and numerous other issues can all lead to accidents that entitle victims to just compensation.
Q: What are my options if the driver who hit me was uninsured?
If the driver who hit you does not have insurance (or if their insurance is inadequate to cover your losses), you potentially have a few options available. These include:
- Filing a claim under your personal injury protection (PIP) policy (PIP coverage is a requirement under Florida law);
- Filing an uninsured/underinsured (UIM) claim with your insurer (if you purchased UIM coverage); and,
- Pursuing alternate sources of financial compensation (such as a claim for a mechanical failure).
- Potentially pursuing the employer of the other driver if they were working at the time of the accident.
- Pursuing the owner of the vehicle if different than the driver.
Types of Personal Injury Accidents We Handle in Clearwater
We focus our practice exclusively in the areas of personal injury and wrongful death representation. By limiting our practice to these areas, we are able to focus 100 percent of our efforts on finding new and better ways to seek maximum compensation for our injured clients. We have been doing that for over 30 years. Below we’ve listed the most common person injury cases that we see in Clearwater:
Car Accident Lawyers in Clearwater
The overwhelming majority of the cases that we handle – close to 80% – involve some sort of automobile accident. This is because getting behind the wheel of a car is the most dangerous thing that people do on a regular bases. At Abrahamson & Uiterwyk, we help car accident victims in Clearwater seek to maximize their financial recoveries. With a team of more than 10 attorneys and 40 professional staff members, we provide full-service representation focused on seeking to recover the compensation to which our clients are legally entitled. We will be with you every step of the way; and, whether your case settles or goes to trial, you can rest assured knowing that you have decades of experience on your side. Learn more about our car accident practice.
Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Clearwater
When you’re hurt in a motorcycle accident, it can be hard to know where to begin. Physical injuries, emotional devastation and an inability to work can all wreak havoc on your life and your family’s security. You may wonder if there’s any way to seek compensation for your losses. Fortunately, in many cases, the answer is yes. The State of Florida has laws that are meant to fairly and fully compensate motorcycle accident victims for a variety of losses. In certain cases, you’re able to bring a lawsuit against another driver or other responsible party. You may be able to seek compensation for things like pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life as well as for medical bills and loss wages.
When other drivers aren’t responsible on the road, the Clearwater motorcycle accident lawyers at Abrahamson & Uiterwyk are ready to help. Our team of specifically trained and experienced attorneys dedicate themselves to helping injured riders fight for justice. We work tirelessly to help you pursue your case in the strongest ways possible under Florida law. Learn more about our motorcycle accident practice.
Commercial Truck Accident Lawyers in Clearwater
Semi-trucks are one of the road’s most dangerous means of transportation. Weighing as much as 80,000 pounds, these massive pieces of motorized machinery can be over 20 times the weight of your car. Such dangerous vehicles call for extreme precaution, yet too often, trucking companies are more concerned with their bottom line than the safety of those on the road. Overworked, impossible demand and mile-based pay all contribute to the nearly 275,000 large truck accidents that occur every single year in the United States. If you’ve been the victim of such an accident, you are probably wondering where to turn. Perhaps you’ve been offered an insurance settlement that doesn’t even come close to covering your medical expenses. If so, we can help. Learn more about our truck accident practice.
Slip and Fall Lawyers in Clearwater
As a visitor on another’s property, you are vulnerable. Neglected maintenance, hazards. or obstacles could result in a serious injury. While it is the owner’s responsibility to protect you on his or her property, unfortunately, this does not always happen. If you’ve sustained an injury due to a slip & fall accident, picking up the pieces can be difficult. But don’t be worried. You aren’t alone. Our experienced Clearwater slip and fall lawyers have walked this road with thousands of individuals just like you. Learn more about our slip and fall practice
Bicycle Accident Injuries in Clearwater
Bicyclists don’t stand a chance in on-road collisions. Whether it’s from the threat of a car or a commercial truck, you are extremely vulnerable when you’re on your bike. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, don’t leave your fate in the hands of an insurance company, even your own insurance company. These companies are often committed to minimizing your claim payout. They’re not primarily interested in helping you. Learn more about our bicycle accident practice
Dog Bite Injuries in Clearwater
We’d like to think that dogs are man’s best friend, but the truth is that serious dog attacks happen regularly. Those attacks can leave terrible scarring both physically and emotionally, and it can be hard to know where to turn in the aftermath of an attack. If you’ve been injured in a dog attack, the Clearwater dog bite injury lawyers at Abrahamson & Uiterwyk can help you get the compensation you deserve so that you can focus on your recovery and get back to your life. Learn more about about Florida dog bite law.
Pedestrian Accident Injuries in Clearwater
Hit by a car? You’re not alone. On average over 400 pedestrians accidents take place every year in Pinellas County, part of over 7,750 pedestrian crashes statewide. For the victims of these accidents, there can be years of rehabilitation, pain and suffering to go through, as well as dozens of doctors’ visits, surgeries, and tests. The emotional, physical, and financial toll can be extreme. The last thing you want to worry about is finding sound legal advice. Fortunately, the Clearwater pedestrian accident lawyers of Abrahamson & Uiterwyk are here to guide you every step of the way. Learn more about our pedestrian accident practice.
Car Crash Statistics in Clearwater / Pinellas County FL
Since you’re here, you know all too well how prevalent vehicle collisions are. In 2018 there were ~1,100 car crashes per day in Florida. That comes out to one crash every 1.3 minutes, with many of those occurring right here in Clearwater and Pinellas County.
As of April 18, 2018, there had been a total of 5,050 crashes since the beginning of the year in Pinellas County. Compared to the 3,802 crashes in the first four months of 2011, the number of crashes has increased by almost a quarter. For context, the increase in the population of Pinellas County between April 2010 and July 2017 is less than six percent.
The small proportion of commercial vehicle crashes in these first few months of 2018 follows the same pattern as in the previous year. Nationally, thanks to increased safety measures, crashes are not causing injuries and fatalities as in the past. In March 2018, the National Highway Transport Administration released a report on 2016 motor vehicle crashes.
This report found that while close to 30 percent of the crashes resulted in injuries, only about half of one percent resulted in fatalities. Thus far, the proportion of crashes with injuries in Pinellas County is much higher. However, the proportion of fatalities in Pinellas County crashes is comparable. Compared to the figures from last year, bicycle fatalities have jumped dramatically already in the first few months of this year.
Most crashes (about 58 percent) in Pinellas County caused property damage. This follows very closely the pattern of accidents in the previous year. In contrast, close to 70 percent of crashes in the US in 2016 had property damage.
What do the statistics tell us about some common assumptions?
First, it should come as no surprise that the largest age group of drivers involved in Pinellas County crashes is the 65+ group. What is surprising is that the 15 to 19-year-old group is among the smallest percent of drivers in crashes thus far. Nationally, younger drivers tend to be crash more frequently than any other age group.
Even as recently as 2015, Pinellas’s teen drivers accounted for crashes that were double their share of licensed drivers. It is great to know that in Pinellas County at least this year, younger drivers are more careful and practicing defensive driving.
Second, thus far in Pinellas County, no clear patterns emerge from the day of the week in terms of crashes. For the first four months of 2018, the two biggest days of the week for crashes are Tuesday and Friday. This is very similar to the 2017 statistics. Nationally, most fatal crashes in 2015 occurred on Saturday and Sunday when more people are probably out on the roads. They may also be more careless and the days when people will probably consume more alcohol.
Third, when it comes to time of day, as of April 18 Pinellas County crashes peaked between 3.00 and 5.00 p.m. This pattern followed that of the previous year. The national statistics for 2015 paint a slightly different picture, with most fatal crashes occurring in the 6 p.m. to 9.00 p.m. period. It is likely that these times are simply the period when rush hour occurs. Related to the time of day is the lighting condition when the crashes happen.
In Pinellas County, a substantial majority of accidents thus far (close to 70 percent) took place in daylight, whereas in the country, less than half the fatal crashes took place in the daylight.
Sample Clearwater Personal Injury Client Results
We have achieved significant settlements and verdicts for people just like you. Below are a few examples of results we’ve fought to obtain for our Clearwater accident and injury clients.
Past results do not guarantee a similar outcome in your case.
Read Reviews from Our Clearwater Personal Injury Clients
Directions and Contact Info for Our Clearwater Personal Injury Law Office
Abrahamson & Uiterwyk Personal Injury Law
2639 McCormick Dr.
Clearwater, FL 33759